• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Armor Headlight Issue

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
. It must be bad bulbs or somehow the housing is cracking the bulbs.
With the broad number of similar issues, I would suspect this was actually the case. I highly doubt that the huge number of 'defective' bulbs would have made it out of the plant. My money would be on the way the bulb is secured in the house. That ring tightens down pretty hard on those bulbs.

AN/ARC186

Check the lamp carefully, if it has a hazy white appearance on the inside of the lamp then that means the lamp has cracked and air has made it inside. This seems to be caused by the lamp retaining ring being too tight and causing the lamp to crack on the reflector side once it starts to warm up. I now install my lamps and once the retainer is tightened I back the retaining plate screws off one full turn. Ever since I started doing this I haven't had a lamp failure.
Hope this helps.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased from these folks in the past. Good prices and fast shipping.[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lamp4811.html[/FONT]
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]
[/FONT]

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think Kenny (recovery4X4) has gotten out of the deuce business since this thread was started.

AN/ARC186

Thanks! I try to keep things neat whenever possible. found the pics of the switches and alley lights I put on. I also added a second dimmer switch for the IR headlights.Lights 007.jpgLights 005.jpgLights 004.jpgLights 003.jpgLights 002.jpgLights 001.jpg

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've flirted with the idea of putting LED bulbs in my armored lights. I believe the bulb is a Par36 and both Grote and Truck-Lite make LED lights that should mount in.
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&productId=84586
http://www.grote.com/product.php?product_number=63821-5

ebay prices (as of May 2013) on a single bulb is $70-$90 depending on brand however.
Has anyone upgraded to the LED bulbs like this? I am experiencing extremely short lifespans on my 4811 bulbs and it isn't due to me over tightening them in the housing. I have 4 of the lights on my truck (reverse and side lights) and a $400 bulb upgrade would be supremely painful, but I'll do it if it means my system is reliable.

goldneagle

Has anyone upgraded to the LED bulbs like this? I am experiencing extremely short lifespans on my 4811 bulbs and it isn't due to me over tightening them in the housing. I have 4 of the lights on my truck (reverse and side lights) and a $400 bulb upgrade would be supremely painful, but I'll do it if it means my system is reliable.
Are you still cracking the bulbs? Maybe modifying the housing to get some padding behind the bulbs would help?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Are you still cracking the bulbs? Maybe modifying the housing to get some padding behind the bulbs would help?
No. Just swapped the dead bulb for a new 4811 and carefully inspected. Didn't go foggy, no cracks, installed properly, etc. I just think the armor lights either have a design flaw and transfer too much vibration for the filament to handle or the bulbs we are buying today are light duty trash or some combination of the two.

I am using new in the box GE bulbs.

I considered some kind of padding but these bulbs get HOT...... I am not sure what I could use that would be effective and withstand the heat.

Attachments

Jeepsinker

I've been having problems with GE bulbs in my house too. I had Halogen bulbs in the recessed fixtures in the kitchen and they were only lasting a few hours before they popped. Switched to another brand, problem solved. The GE bulbs were Chinese made, or Mexican made. Can't remember which one but they weren't American made anymore.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks