• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Armor pictures from '68-'69

Ridgerunner

We went to my parents place last night to meet up with the rest of the family for Christmas. While there I came across some of his pictures from when he served in the military. He was in the armored division with the 82nd Airborn ('68-70) with the M551 Sheridan.

I figured I'd post the pictures up that I found, and share with Steel Soldiers.

Attachments

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the images? I have a question regarding image #8: what is the purpose for laying out the rounds like that?

Rick

shootER

Thanks for the images? I have a question regarding image #8: what is the purpose for laying out the rounds like that?

Rick

To more quickly load the rounds onto the tanks. Takes less time than uncrating the "tootsie roll" tubes and then taking the rounds out of those.

I served on M60A3s and M1IPs and have seen similar setups on the ranges that I used (though always on ammo docks, not on the ground).

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To more quickly load the rounds onto the tanks. Takes less time than uncrating the "tootsie roll" tubes and then taking the rounds out of those.

I served on M60A3s and M1IPs and have seen similar setups on the ranges that I used (though always on ammo docks, not on the ground).
shootER,

How does the layout work? Does the tank do a slow roll along the arc of the layout and receive the rounds through the hatch via hand loading?

Sorry for the fundamental questions, I have zero mil and ammo handling experience.

rick

shootER

shootER,

How does the layout work? Does the tank do a slow roll along the arc of the layout and receive the rounds through the hatch via hand loading?

Sorry for the fundamental questions, I have zero mil and ammo handling experience.

rick

All the ranges I was on had a specific ammo "dock" (kind of like a heavy-duty loading dock) located behind and off to the side of the main firing line. When a tank crew completed firing their engagements, each tank went to upload ammo and offload empty shell casings there. The rounds were loaded by hand through the loader's hatch.

In the photos posted above, with the shells on the ground, it looks like maybe the crews took the rounds forward to the firing line where the tanks were.

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...... it looks like maybe the crews took the rounds forward to the firing line where the tanks were.
As in hand carry? Is that a normal procedure? Especially with those enormous, gray tipped projectiles of death??? Gawd, you guys were asked to do a lot!!!

Again, apologies from the unkowing.

Rick

shootER

As in hand carry? Is that a normal procedure? Especially with those enormous, gray tipped projectiles of death??? Gawd, you guys were asked to do a lot!!!

Again, apologies from the unkowing.

Rick

The rounds didn't really weigh all that much (no more than 40lbs each for 90mm, I would think) and, during gunnery, you don't fully load the vehicle with ammunition. Just enough to complete the engagements.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's been a bit since I touched base here. The track is up and running. We took it out of the place it sat for years under it's own power, did a 180 and put it in the shop. Did some fixing, made a traverse mechanisim, stole a bustle rack off the stripped hull, made the hinged covers for the batteries and filter. Had to fab up a filter assembly...still lookin' for that if anyone has leads, PM me!! made a barrel, did some body work and gave it a squirt. Took it out for a putt and found it had no power. A quick check and found the filters plugged. The attached video is of the first run. Took it back to the shop, changed the filters and gave the fuel and tanks some TLC. Took it out a second time, it now has RPM but is lazy shifting and the RPM stays up when we trun but the vehicle slows. I think we have a trans issue, maybe a dirty filter, fluid is clean and at the proper level. More TS to come tomorrow!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMidg_WYyMU[/media]

3cavtanker

I was a tank crewman on M1A2's and most of the time we took the rounds directly from the shipping pallets into the tanks at an ammo dock. However, when we went to Bosnia and Iraq and received "used" rounds (ones that had been uploaded and then downloaded again, we laid out all the ammo so that we could inspect it all before we put it in the ammo racks. you don't want to roll into a sticky situation with ammo that has gotten wet or has a damaged case.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
The blue tipped rounds are target practice 90mm APBC-T (armor piercing ballistic cap tracer). Projectile is solid shot with a windscreen (not a shell). They weigh about 23lbs and have a muzzle velocity of about 2,800 ft/s (1,900 mph). I think they are identical to service rounds and may have been used as service rounds. The cartridge cases look like brass in the picture (turret) but were probably lacquered steel. The tank is a M48 Patton.

p.s. They were used very little in combat (VN) as the north had little armor. HE (High Explosive) was the preferred round.

p.p.s. Ridgerunner, thanks for posting these pictures.

Last edited:

Augdog1964

Great pics!

Nice pics, I always like the look of the Sheridan!

I had an opportunity to see one run at Knob Creek a few years back... was an impressive machine. Anyone ever see one live fire? What was the condition of the target, and what were the stats on penetration for that gun?

Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks