• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

armor

zout

Just a question I see that belongs no where else:

If you were to add a form of aftermarket armor to your vehicle key area's - what would you use ?
Especially to keep weight down and thickness for a mounting purpose. AH lets say to keep 5 rounds of an armor piercing load from penetration through a door.

chaplain

I did significant studies on the uparmoring of civilian vehicles when I was stationed in the phillipines. Of course this topic depends on the type of opfor rounds you want to defeat, ie 5.56mm or 7.62 mm or 50 cal. In one scenario a colonel was killed not because of armor failure but because a 5.56 round found a junction where there was no armor between the door posts. another observation was that attacks almost always expended rounds through window glass where they could see the target. Very few rounds went through the door panel. Finally rounds that did make it through the glass were mostly molten lead. Remember this when uparmoring, once the jacket is defeated the rest of the bullet dissintigrates (exception ap rounds) With this in mind your topic also lacks desire to keep the stock appearance of your MV ride or be flagrant with the armor like a tank. For the best of modern armor check out the armor installed by private companies shipping out of country. also. Heck stick a big 46 inch tire behind your head mounted on hemmit rim.

ps. also might want to check into atf rules and regs about armored vehicles. :|:roll:

6x6guy

No steel plating will stop armor piercing 50 cal. under 1 inch, thats a lot of steel to carry around, it would be lighter if you could deflect the projectile by angling the steel as not to
absorb the initial inertia, as most combat vehicles are designed. :roll:

I did significant studies on the uparmoring of civilian vehicles when I was stationed in the phillipines. Of course this topic depends on the type of opfor rounds you want to defeat, ie 5.56mm or 7.62 mm or 50 cal. In one scenario a colonel was killed not because of armor failure but because a 5.56 round found a junction where there was no armor between the door posts. another observation was that attacks almost always expended rounds through window glass where they could see the target. Very few rounds went through the door panel. Finally rounds that did make it through the glass were mostly molten lead. Remember this when uparmoring, once the jacket is defeated the rest of the bullet dissintigrates (exception ap rounds) With this in mind your topic also lacks desire to keep the stock appearance of your MV ride or be flagrant with the armor like a tank. For the best of modern armor check out the armor installed by private companies shipping out of country. also. Heck stick a big 46 inch tire behind your head mounted on hemmit rim.

ps. also might want to check into atf rules and regs about armored vehicles. :|:roll:
now the atf regulates vehicles too-them boys got too much on their plate;-)

Verkstad

You might look into kevlar paneling. Its widely used a lot in constructions of banks, Embassies, etc. wherever a bullet resistant wall or service counter is installed.

Jakob

Yohan

Kevlar "curtains" can also be used. I imagine you could locate a source for the material.

stampy

He's just plannin for the "zombie apycolypse". I too have looked at armoring my 109 but not from hi powered rifles more handgun and maybe 223 Probably best to make mounting points and have plate ready if it ever comes you and a friend could hang them/ bolt them whenever you felt the need. That way the vehicle is only loaded down when necessary. By the way...just for your info a m109 will tow a fully loaded m109 ( and only drop about 5 mph on the highway) so I don't think plate would add any more weight than that:-D

Yohan

braaaaaaaiiiinzzzzz...

Ahhh... the good 'ol "zombie apocolypse"! I have to admit, it's a vacation I often times wish would come. :oops:

If you only have yourself to depend on to hang the embattlements on your rig (no neighbor, older son, etc.), then you might consider going with the Kevlar curtains as it can be done alone. Be mindful, it won't stop the venerable 7.62x51, but could get you through some monor scrapes if you were on the move, ie. "pedal to the metal"!

If you plan on taking on some 50BMG, I will gladly sell you my FV432, conveniently listed in the classifieds section. :-D I've considered "testing" the .50 AP round against the 432, but have not mustered the courage!

zout

illusion

zombie something - reminds me while learning how to sit under a desk while folks were out buying underground bomb shelters years ago. IF - it did occur - you would hear a lot of knocking on your door of those that were without !! better to have it - than to sit back and say - should have done that.
What the heck - sit back - relax- the government WILL take care of you.

I see the fibreglass will only take one round of 7.62 ap - as most cannot shoot with a sh** anyhow that may do as long as I curtain it and keep costs down.
But then again - eh - would hate to be on my list of what could be dished out.
Anymore than that - game is up anyhow. Basic protection

DanielP

It is my understanding (and I am not an expert) that a 3/8" plate of AR500 steel will stop 5.56 and 7.62 AP ammo. However AR500 is way hard to cut or drill, so you probably would have to buy or rent a plasma cutter. That done, you could just put plates on the inside of your doors, assuming you reinforced the door frame to carry the load. And for windows you could probably rig up about 3 inch thick bullet proof glass that clamps into place if you want it there. Roll-up bullet proof windows would require you to build entirely new doors. Bullet proofing your deuce may actually be useful in a drive-by haven like southern California.

As for ATF regulations on armor - I have no clue.

Last edited:

Maverick1701

There is a company here in Tx that will armor your truck and install a .50 M2 in the bed that can raise up out of the truck topper and is controlled/sighted by a joystick/TV in the cab....some pretty serious armoring right there

oh and smokescreens too

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks