• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Army Boats

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just spoke to Roger, the owner. He wants $12,500. Remember we could have had it for $4,500 when he first dragged it home 20 yrs ago? He says it only has 108 hours on it. I remember he had it on the river and the DNR came down on him for the loud exhaust and lack of registration.
Funny,
It was $2500 when I was there 3 years ago. I am guessing it needs alot of metal work after sitting outside 20 years +.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm kinda confused too. I'll talk to him again in the next week, get some pics. Maybe I can get him down 9 or 10k! He said there is a lot of brush growing around it.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Jim,
This is what it is. I saw the boat at Shep's in Onalaska Tuesday.
It was an 27' Bridge Erection Boat with this exact cradle for transport.
I went back Wednesday for pics and it was gone.

Last edited:

Keith_J

I remember dual LDT's driving twin jet type drives on the bridge boats. But I could have been mistaken. I know they were capable of throwing huge rooster tails when in shallow water or the operator angled the nozzles up.

There was an island 50 yards off the west bank of the Potomac at Ft. Belvoir where the Engineer Officer's Basic Course learned floating bridge operations. Seen these boats operate there a few times. Guess that shows my age

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, Jim an I returned to the original salvage yard where he saw it.It is a 27' 2 piece bridge erection boat with twin propellers and twin detriot engines. It is all aluminum. Very interesting.

Attachments

sandstorm

Army/ military boat"s

I would like to revive some more interest in military boat's! Thank's to (hndersonj); and other's for starting this thread. There are still some military boat's on some : gov;site's, usually very pricey though. Any mv; od green or sand on the land or the sea is pretty awesome. Thanx, SS for all you do.:beer:

Last edited:

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to revive some more interest in military boat's! Thank's to (hndersonj); and other's for starting this thread. There are still some military boat's on some : gov;site's, usually very pricey though. Any mv; od green or sand on the land or the sea is pretty awesome. Thanx, SS for all you do.:beer:

There are still some of these around...USN motor whaleboats. Last ones I saw being released from the military were in ~'09 from Guam...GL listings. They went for 3-4K each w/o trailers...nice, low-hour MK12s. If you are interested, there are a few fora around: a Yahoo interest group [I think] and http://whaleboat.us/forum/index.php. Every now and then one shows up for sale here and there. Many have been extensively modified and $pruced up...different strokes. Parts and repair work can be remarkably expensive!

IMG_2945.jpg

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as interest in military boats, our organization here in Ohio on Lake Erie are planning to hold a "Retired Military Watercraft Muster" for lack of a better name possibly in 2015 in the Sandusky, Ohio/Cedar Point Amusement Park area. Possibly in conjunction with a big recreational boat show held there, or maybe elsewhere as well. We're thinking not just retired military watercraft of various types, but amphibious vehicles as well. Seems there are already many in the area, retired LCM-8's, LCVP's, motorwhale boats, utility boats, a couple minefield maintenance boats (box "L" boats) and Coast Guard cutters and a WWII PT boat as well as LARC-V's an LVT-4 and possibly a DUKW or two.
We're hoping to pull it together some others as there are PBR's and more not too far from here and all indicated an interest in coming to Lake Erie to play some weekend.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's one of those two part bridge boats laying sunk on Lake Erie off Camp Perry currently. It want down several years ago when some 'brass a--' thought he knew better and tried to use two of them to patrol the impact area there instead of use local patrol boats belonging to another unit. Cost two Guardsmen their lives, and the loss of the boat. Hasn't been located but its in a fairly small area and locatable if one were interested. Only problem is there are no salvage laws on the Lakes, property lost remains the property of the owner or insurance company or in this instance the National Guard. And I'll bet they still don't want the boat found as it would be "discovery" for a legal situation most likely. But there are two of the newer water jet driven bridge boats working in the area, one in Sandusky and one in Lorain, Ohio. They have English built Ford "Sabre" diesel engines. The owner of Weebee Webbing has a set of these engines and drive units in his MK-2 PBR, the mounting 'foot print' is very similar to that of the original jet pumps though the old 6-V-53's are a bit different than the "Sabre".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks