• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Army CJ5

Hoefler

Picked this up last year out of Sparta. I have begun to rebuild it. Question-what does CF6390 stand for? The old fella is my wives uncle from Queens. He helped me recover the jeep out of Sparta.
Pete
IMG_3598.jpg

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was this "CF" number on there when it came from the military? The position it's in says it's a registration number but I've never seen a registration number start with "CF".

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that is not a military jeep
While not a military Jeep as in a MB or M38, it could have been owned by the military. They procure lots of civilian vehicles from time to time. I'm not sure they assign registration numbers to civilian vehicles though.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Judging by that yellow-green paint that the military likes to paint airfield fire trucks, and the stuff in the bed, perhaps that might be a clue to its former job?

And, yes, "off the shelf" civvy vehicles do get assigned registration numbers, though they tend to be quite different from the tactical vehicle ones we are used to. One example - US Army IH2756 on a Chevy pickup. There was one at the MVPA convention in Huntsville, another Chevy, registered US Army 01JXXXXX

Cheers

Hoefler

It was a fire fighting rig with two 1 1/2" hoses on it. There was the remains of a pump on the front-the type found on brush trucks. Electricals are 12 volt. Seats have canvas bottoms.
Mileage shows about 15K. Zero rust with frame looking near perfect. The master cylinder is leaking which has caused the paint on firewall to peel-underneath it shows this vehicle was originally red.
The numbers/letters on the hood where there when I got it-the letters are plastic stick on ones.
Pete

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
that is not a military jeep
Correct but any vehicle used by the military and surplussed out to the public still counts at the Georgia Rally. You know, like flight line vehicles be they true MVs or not.

:)

oboyjohn

Back in the late '80's and very early 90's, we had Jeep CJ-7's in reserve units. They were very basic models with the 4.2litre ( 258 cubic inch) 6 cylinder engine and a 5 speed tranny. Even though it was 12 volts, we added a step up converter to 24 volts for when we installed a comms system.

Hoefler

IMG_2001.jpgIMG_2002.jpgIMG_2003.jpgIMG_2005.jpg
I am rebuilding it now. Installing the venerable AMC 258 with a 4 speed and Dana 300 transfer case. Maybe paint it olive drab and put my dad's First Cav sticker on it.
Pete

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're feeling froggy, and you want to restore it like a field-service MV, the CJ-5 was used in the field by numerous other countries. Here's one that was fixed up as a faux-Israeli Defense Force CJ-5 jeep by HAWKMAN, he brought it to the Gilbert PA show in 2009 and it looked sharp!

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Not 100% but think it is just the registration number and it was purchased via " Central Fund" money I have seen CFXXXX on other civi type MV's, and others have stamped military license plates that have "NAF", Non-appropriated Fund on the bottom. 001.jpg It came off a Cherokee I got at auction back in the good ole DRMO days.

Last edited:

oboyjohn

Hi EAW46. Your picture in your post is a CJ-7. The CJ-5, like the old M-38's had a narrowed door well with the rounded "hump" on the backside. Looks like this:

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it is the CJ7 it has more room behind the seat as well. That pic is behind the Regina Armouries and is owned by the Sask. Military Museum we have totaly rebuilt it 5 yrs ago and it just sits outside in the weather going back to bad shape. Eddy

gerrykan

Is it a 1976 model year?
For a time I think the first number after the F was the model year of the vehicle.
I do not know how long they did this.

emr

There were CJ5s in the at least the army and I would bet other branch's also. I have seen one with the hard bras data plate here in Picatinny . I have posted the info from the data plate on this site, but was long ago, so don't have it any more... Not stickers, data plates mid seventys I remember, And it was /is green since its still floating around I just found out... SOOO, There is still a CJ5 on the books and in service today :)))) Just cool info.... May be in a garage now but its there...

Last edited:

Hoefler

IMG_2083.jpgIMG_2082.jpgIMG_2086.jpgIMG_2091.jpgIMG_2090.jpg
I have continued to take the Jeep apart. I have discovered the frame to be scale and rust free. Bottom of body is clean too. These things are very simple machines.
Pete

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks