• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Army Signal Oscilloscope

akexc

I have just run across an old US Army Signal Corps Oscilloscope that my parents found going through some of my grandfathers stuff.

I'd like to know more about it, functions, value, etc.

Anyone on here know anything about these, or could point me to a web site that would be a reference?

Thanks.

armytruck63

Do you have a manufacturer or model number? I do instrument calibration for a living, so I might be able to tell you more about the scope.

And of course, nopics

TIGERFANS2

AF 324X0 (2POX? now) '68-present

worked on OS-4's etc........ back in the day :)
back when men were men and o'scopes measured, among other things, range in radar miles....

Carl_in_NH

Here's the schematic. About as straightforward an instrument as you can get.

While I don't know this instrument, I suspect it would be useful up through the audio range - perhaps up to several MHz.

Should be easy to get going again. Have you ever brought tube-type equipment back to life before? There's some tricks that any old time ham or tube radio restorer can give you - like using a variac to bring the line voltage up slowly (don't just plug it in or you will likely damage things). Old filter caps need to re-form, and bringing up the line voltage slowly (over 10 to 20 minutes, a few volts at a time) will help to wake them up. Sometimes, you get failures of these components and can't recover them; in that event, they will need to be replaced. There's nothing really tricky about it, and parts from the local antique radio restorer will work just fine.

Let me know if you need any help bringing it back on-line.

Attachments

akexc

Here's the schematic. About as straightforward an instrument as you can get.

While I don't know this instrument, I suspect it would be useful up through the audio range - perhaps up to several MHz.

Should be easy to get going again. Have you ever brought tube-type equipment back to life before? There's some tricks that any old time ham or tube radio restorer can give you - like using a variac to bring the line voltage up slowly (don't just plug it in or you will likely damage things). Old filter caps need to re-form, and bringing up the line voltage slowly (over 10 to 20 minutes, a few volts at a time) will help to wake them up. Sometimes, you get failures of these components and can't recover them; in that event, they will need to be replaced. There's nothing really tricky about it, and parts from the local antique radio restorer will work just fine.

Let me know if you need any help bringing it back on-line.
Great information, thanks. I would have looked inside and made sure it was clean, then plugged it in.
Now I'll have to give this more thought.

Here is a picture.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks