• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Asbestos an trailer heaters

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

Ok so here is the deal-- I have two trailers, an M750 and an M313 that I am working on. Both have the fuel fired heating systems intact and hooked up but have warning tags inside of possible asbestos contamination but the ducts were not sealed up as per the MWO. Now, I know about the MWO to address asbestos issues with the heating ductwork and have a few questions about it. The M750 is a 1978 manufacture date and has the linings in the heater outlet ducts which have a chalky appearance-- so I am convinced that this is indeed asbestos cloth. The M313 is a 1991 manufacture date and has what appears to be woven fiberglass cloth lining the ducts. Now the MWO is also dated 1991. So, when this MWO came out, did they just hit all the trailer models on the list regardless of date? Is it possible that trailers bearing later manufacture dates have duct systems that are indeed asbestos free? As a side note, for those SS members that had mentioned in the past that they were certified to abate asbestos, are the commercially available test kits capable of testing potential asbestos cloth (I only ask this because they list only a few types of asbestos containing materials on their packaging-- mostly piping wrap but do not mention cloth specifically). As a final note, I plan to carefully disassemble the duct system on the M750 and possibly the M313 as well if I confirm its also contaminated to remove all the offending material (with proper safety gear of course)-- Has any one else ever done the same?

thanks

Ziggy

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If there was a MWO that was issued, usually all vehicles manufactured AFTER the MWO came out had the MWO "done" durring the build...

In your case, I'd buy a testing kit and check.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto on getting it tested. Do a search in your area for Industrial Hygiene or Environmental testing labs. The lab I use at my work charges about $10 per sample for an asbestos buk id test.
FWIW,
Chad