• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

asbestos danger?

rickta24

was reading through the engine manual. it said some gaskets contain asbestos? have i also heard that CARC contains asbestos? how dangerous is it on the CUCV?

ida34

Asbestos in vehicles is not just limited to the cucv. Brakes and clutches contain asbestos as well. The military puts all kinds in information in there to scare you. Did you know that night sights on firearms are radioactive? They are but they will not kill you. The small amount of asbestos exposure you get from the gaskets will not kill you either. If you are grinding the gasket away I would wear a respirator or if you are working on the brakes beware of the dust. Wear a respirator and do not blow the dust off with air. Use brake clean to clean it off.

t4billl

abestos only effects you if are exposed to it on a prolonged basis, it however will increase your chances for cancer along with breathing 2nd hand smoke or prolonged exposure to deisel fuel

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I worked for a plumber in the 70's and used to have the job of coating the new furnaces with asbestos. I made heat sheilding for my headers out of asbestos cloth for quite a few cars and trucks. My old house in Massachucettes has asbestos siding. I would rather have the asbestos around than burn down. Also a note for many years our barrel mits for the M-60 machine gun were asbestos as well as school shop safety blankets. I still run and in pretty good shape for a 53 year old dude and the stuff never hurt me only kept me from getting burnt.

ida34

I had a shop teacher die from lung cancer from asbestos exposure over the years. I would rather be safe then have it accumulating in my lungs. I also use the respirator when spraying paint. I use it pretty often.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
When I taught shop they still had the asbestos fire blankets and as soon as you opened the cover you could see the asbestos fibers in the air. I always wore at least a paper filter if I got near them. I did use a couple of them to wrap headers but I soaked them in high temp cement first and then wrapped them thus no fibers could be seen when I hand wrapped them. It does a great job on headers. I am quite sure my time in the Coast Guard in the early 70's exposed me to more asbestos than any where else. All but one of the Cutters I served on were build during WW II.

TigerHawk

The top on my M35A2 has some kind of nasty looking insulation on the top and I was wondering if this was asbestos? Around the sides of the cab is closed cell foam insulation but the stuff on the inside of the top is different! Any thoughts?:?:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Bring that truck by the "Hooch" and leave it Tiger.:!:
We will study, probe, test and otherwise evaluate said top.

Should be ready for return some time in 2012:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks