• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Assistance installing Mile Marker

darkturbo

You can get the manual off of the link I posted on mile markers military site.

Are you talking about the two hard lines that are attached to the winch that the lines like the ones above attachment to? If so the only place you will get those is a junk winch or directly from mile marker.
I guess its my luck.... all the link work except for the installation....

The MM sale rep gave me the part number but the sale person wont sell me military part???? They did however an adapter so I can get around the problem and install the winch so I just have to wait for it to see if that work....

darkturbo

Thanks everyone for your help.... Got the line made (~$65), cost a bit too much considering I got the winch kit for $900. Anyway, will post pic of winch when done...

camoscout

Google NSN 2590-01-456-7879 just scanned through this thread and this will help with install of MM Winch
Sorry that may not work. Some how I found the mile marker instruction manual on instal on HMMWV. It says NSN: 2590-01-456-7879 at bottom on cover. I will try to scan and post in a couple of days if not PM me with your email and I will scan and send to you if anyone needs it.

kestrelnh

Waking this thread up again :) I too am installing a 10.5k Mile Marker hydraulic winch on my '92 m998a0. I can find this out by trial and error this coming week, but I thought I'd post and try to save myself some jacking and wrench turning. The spacing washers welded to the winch bumper brackets suggest that the twisted winch plate straps (example picture below) can be kept on the truck. Is this true, or do they have to be removed for the winch to fit?

winch_plate_straps.jpg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Waking this thread up again :) I too am installing a 10.5k Mile Marker hydraulic winch on my '92 m998a0. I can find this out by trial and error this coming week, but I thought I'd post and try to save myself some jacking and wrench turning. The spacing washers welded to the winch bumper brackets suggest that the twisted winch plate straps (example picture below) can be kept on the truck. Is this true, or do they have to be removed for the winch to fit?

View attachment 636168

they get removed...as well, you have to flip the bolt around on the lower control arm to install the milemarker winch plate.
this is a pita to,say the least on the left side. I can also,tell you the bracket you are referring may be the wrong bracket.
the actual milemarker frame bracket is void of those welded washers and the bottom of the bracket has no
lower gusset. If you have the lower gusset, it need to be cut out...it's a tight fit.
i actually had the correct milemarker bracket and the one I think you have.
once I looked in the milemarker install instructions, I found they were different part numbers.

ChicagoM998

This thread has been very helpful to me in trying to install the Mile Marker 10,500lb hydraulic winch on my M998. I recently finished installing the winch, but have yet to connect the hydraulic lines and cables. Just thought I'd share a tip on turning the lower control arm bolts around and sharing the manual I received from Steve at Mile Marker (very helpful guy). I figured this out after a lot of swearing and frustration, but if you place a jack under the jack point directly under the spring on the lower control arm and start to lift the wheel (no need to remove the tire) you can find a point where there is zero tension on the bolt. The key is to remove the nut, so the bolt could be removed, then as you jack it up put pressure on the bolt and keep lifting until you feel to bolt slide freely (almost like playing jenga) at which point stop jacking the truck up. You can now easily remove the bolt and turn it around. Obviously, be careful while doing this in the event the jack slips and the truck drops. If I had figured this out earlier it would have saved me hours of frustration and pounding on the bolts with a hammer.

I also wasn't able to located the installation manual from Mile Marker on the internet, but was able to get one sent to me, so I'm posting from pics I took of the pages. Hope this helps a few people out. :beer:
0.0 Mile Marker Winch 2590-01-456-7879.jpg0.1 - Parts.jpg0.2 - Parts.jpg0.3 - Parts.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg16.jpg

Last edited:

CGFFEMT

I thought mile marker had the installation manuals on their site... maybe they have since taken them down.

Attached are the mile marker PDFs for both the front and rear winch, which may be easier to read than the scanned copies. Hope it helps, wish I had seen this earlier.

Attachments

desmodromic

I thought mile marker had the installation manuals on their site... maybe they have since taken them down.

Attached are the mile marker PDFs for both the front and rear winch, which may be easier to read than the scanned copies. Hope it helps, wish I had seen this earlier.
These manuals are a big help. Thanks.

My 1995 M998A1 came with a Mile Marker 10.5 hydraulic winch. It will pay out, but will not pay in. Any usual suspects to check first? All connections seem to be correct. I am using this controller I purchased from fleabay:

winch controller.jpg

ClarkeF

That's the wrong winch controller. The hydraulic controller is yellow. You will need to re-wire the connector for it to work correctly.

first confirm in and out by jumping the pins without the controller, then using an ohm meter figure out which pins need to be swapped in the cannon connector to match up.

These manuals are a big help. Thanks.

My 1995 M998A1 came with a Mile Marker 10.5 hydraulic winch. It will pay out, but will not pay in. Any usual suspects to check first? All connections seem to be correct. I am using this controller I purchased from fleabay:

View attachment 645176

desmodromic

That's the wrong winch controller. The hydraulic controller is yellow. You will need to re-wire the connector for it to work correctly.

first confirm in and out by jumping the pins without the controller, then using an ohm meter figure out which pins need to be swapped in the cannon connector to match up.

Yup, Thanks. I was able to source the correct NOS controller a month or two ago. Works like a charm.

desmodromic

I purchased it from a helpful fellow Steel Soldiers member in response to a want ad I placed. IIRC, I or someone else posted up the correct NSN in another winch related thread on this site. Good luck with the hunt - it took me ~ 2 months.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks