• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Assuring Gasket seal?

mattg2448

hey everyone,
I decided that this weekend would be a good weekend to tear into my truck and replace the manifold gaskets because of leaking coolant. I have it all apart, got my gaskets, but im wondering, should i add something like RTV to the gaskets to make sure of a good seal? and i also took off the flame heater, the gasket was not torn or any thing, so if i put a sealer/RTV on it, could i just reuse it? Or should i just buy a new one and leave the truck apart for another week? Will the RTV hold up?

Thanks for the answers in advance!

Attachments

dozer1

Do a great job of cleaning those gasket surfaces too, being very careful not to let the crap fall in where it don't belong. Your call on reusing or not. New is always best. Spread that RTV thin on the gaskets to keep the squishing out to a minimum.

Speedwoble

I see people abuse RTV far to often. My opinion: the gasket is there for a reason. If it needed RTV, they wouldn't have made the gasket. Now, I have used Gasgacinch gasket sealant in the past to help gaskets stick into place while I fit everything together, but this is a far cry from RTV and much less likely to plug an oil passage. Ditto for Permatex annaerobic gasket sealant.

salvorone@aol.com

rtv sealent just came out in around 1968 before that we just used new gaskets. dont know what the army had , the marines didnt need anything . ha ha ha . ok as speedwoble said, people go crasy with rtv, the thinner you spread this stuff the less will squeese out and clog stuff up . 8)

on your deuce if there is a gasket feel free, on later computer controlled cars with all types of sensors , they make a diffrent type of silicone for them so have at it soldier

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Shoot, if you're down that far, you might as well do head gaskets.

2 types of deuce owners: Those who have done head gaskets and those who are going to do head gaskets.

mattg2448

Alright guys, thanks for the tips, I think I am gonna go with RTV Ultra Black high temp, light coat, some of the surfaces have a tiny bit of pitting, so I'm hoping this will make her seal up real nice like, what do you all think?

And clinto, Im good, ill just park the truck til i get more ambition if that happens haha

dozer1

I'm thinkin' it will work. RTV so thin it is almost like you are painting the gasket with it. There is alot of products that people use. Like mentioned before, aviation permatex gasket sealer, Hi-Tack (I like the stuff in the spray can. Both the red and the high temp copper) Each mechanic is going to get used to something and use it. Some applications should have no extra sealant. I like gaskets that have sealant manufactures right on them. Nice design. Not available for everything tho I am sure.

A personal tip of mine is when you use some type of sealer, I don't like to add the fluids right away. Give it a day if you can. Let the stuff set up some and increase your odds of getting a leakproof seal.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Right Stuff" made by permatex is a heck of a good gasket maker. i agree, i see the stuff abused sometimes and it looks horrible. i usually get the replacement gasket and put just a light light coat on both sides of the gasket, so hardly any squeezes out when you torque it down. i never had a problem. not saying my way is the best way, but it works for me. :p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks