• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

At what point are the stock driveshafts to short

USAWEAPON777

Hey guys, Looking for how I'm going to lift my m1008 in the future and depending on funds, I'm basically looking at either a budget maybe 4" lift, with shackle flip in the rear , or do it right with a 6-8", crossover steering yadah yadah. How high can you lift the truck and keep the stock drive shaft? Also I'm assuming that even a 4" lift is going to require extended brake lines. Also at what height will the transfer case need to be dropped.

P.S yes I have been using the SEARCH, and reading up on all of your guys great info on lifts.

jimmy-90

I had a 6" susp lift on my civi blazer and the slip yoke on the stock front drive shaft was extended as far as it would go without falling out. I could have spit the driveshaft right out at any time just by jumping on the pedal if i wanted to. It was only about 1/4 of an inch away from comming apart. You can keep the stock front shaft with a 4" lift though.

rednckii

ive got a six inch on my 1008 an dopped the transfewr case just put spacers between the frame instead of above and extended the rear driveshaft 1" also have a steering block and drop draglink just for peace of mind for myself put 1X1 SQUARE TUBE as a spacer for the front sway bar has been working great no issues only cost about 800 all together

USAWEAPON777

Alright guys thanks for the info. So basically a 4" lift you can keep the driveshafts. From 5-6 your pushing it. and above that new shafts are going to be needed. Now I have to piece together my budget. A 4" would be easy but the trucks look pretty BA with a 6-8" lift

True Knight

I say at 6" you have to lengthen driveshafts if you want to do any off roading. Besides the possibility of the shaft slipping out at full suspension droop, there is less of the shaft engaging with the splines on the output shaft in the transfer case. This will wear out the output shaft and the splines in the driveshaft much faster. I used the stock shaft with a 4" lift for about 6 months without problems. I had them adjusted to proper lengths when I put in the 4L80 and the driveshaft guy said he always goes by the rule that for every 2" of lift, the shafts should be adjusted 1"

TCUCV

I used the stock shaft with a 4" lift for about 6 months without problems. I had them adjusted to proper lengths when I put in the 4L80 and the driveshaft guy said he always goes by the rule that for every 2" of lift, the shafts should be adjusted 1"
What do you mean adjusted? Thanks,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks