• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ATF in M35A3 CAT 3116

jwaller

Oh really ,that's why my buddy that works on the a3's on base says its multi feul , and caterpillar and HO Penn mechanics say the same thing. Look it up on google and learn something
Yes Really. You have a total of 11 posts. Nearly all of which come from this thread. you'd better learn to take advantage of the knowledge that other more seasoned members have to offer. If you don't then your going to spend a lot more than time and money trying to figure out whats wrong with your truck when it breaks.

Your buddy that works on A3's and those you have listed might want to check out this link.

http://parts.cat.com/cda/files/3244668/7/SEBU6251-13-secured.pdf

page 34 specifically says Do not add waste engine oil or any other type of oil to the fuel system as it may lead to a loss in performance and fouling of the fuel system.

3dAngus

You probably did, but I'm sure it's forgotten about. This is a pretty thick skinned group of guys who can take it, and apologies usually mean its all over and forgotten about.

Thanks for being BIG about it. Makes for a better world!

Fspallino

I'd like to learn about this pig I have. I deff need parts and advise on it. I built trucks before but your typical lifted Chevys & fords. My first diesel now and want to keep it for a long time . Thanks guys

3dAngus

If you learn how to cook a pig properly, it is better then fillet mignon.

They are easier to work on then a Ford or a Chevy. Just require bigger tools.

Enjoy what you cook up.

hemichallenger

I was talking to AcCages about this yesterday, I am told only a mix of 5 gallons of ATF in a 50 gallon tank is all the FDC can handle. I pumped 10 gallons of ATF in my A3 a few weeks ago and did not notice any difference at all. The CAT 3116 started right up and ran around town w/o any issues. From now on I will stick to only 5 per full tank. :driver:

The 3116 does not have a fdc.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I was talking to AcCages about this yesterday, I am told only a mix of 5 gallons of ATF in a 50 gallon tank is all the FDC can handle. I pumped 10 gallons of ATF in my A3 a few weeks ago and did not notice any difference at all. The CAT 3116 started right up and ran around town w/o any issues. From now on I will stick to only 5 per full tank. :driver:
Give it time, Don I admire you the way you plan on spreading wealth, this is what is needed to help the economy, thank you, the CAT dealer or the local INJECTION PUMP REBUILD shop will be THANKING you also.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok thank you for the info, I'm just going by what I hear from others. Hope I didn't offend anyone.
I'd like to learn about this pig I have. I deff need parts and advise on it. I built trucks before but your typical lifted Chevys & fords. My first diesel now and want to keep it for a long time . Thanks guys
Well you came to the right place, may have started off on the wrong foot but that's behind you now. Read the rules here, read the threads here, search the forums for answers. Download the Technical Manuals aka TM's for your particular truck, if it's this one from your avatarimage.jpg
Then you do have a M35A3w/w, Looks Good! Most certainly not a multifuel, just a diesel. Lots of knowledge & help here, go over to Requirements For New Members and introduce yourself.

atbhaack

So every one think I'm crazy that I have been running 80 % waste motor oil in a cat 3116? I filter to 1 micron and the truck has never ran better. Smokes less on it and starts better. Runs 20* hotter on the gauge. Only thing I miss is that diesel smell.

Thunder in NWOR

Hmmmm - Smoke?
I have put over 12,000 miles on my M35A3 over the past 2 years and it has never smoked; up hill, down hill, loaded...
(except for a puff at startup when I have let her sit for a month without running)

SsgLattig

Splatterpillers like good clean diesel........I have added one quart of ATF per 100 gallons of diesel on Cummins and CATs back in the day of old school diesels.....nothing is more expensive than a sick puddy tat. These new electronic engines are particular about fuel.
I know this is an old post, but I just want to clarify that the 3116 is NOT an electronic engine. It uses direct "plunge" injectors inline on a fuel rack that actuates them. It is a tempremental engine, and if ANYONE needs more info on this engine PM me. I am a former CAT Factory certified mechanic, and hung up my wrenches and work as an engineer now. The 3100 series was one of my specialties even though it was always too small for me to like (always loved my 3406B & E engines). I got really good at the 3116 when working for the dealer & know quite a bit about it inside & out, so I may be able to help. I'll get around to doing an introduction on here guys, I am really busy so it won't be today!

Jericho

I have routinly addded a quart of ATF and or Marvel mystery Oil ( base petroleum is ATF ) per tank for more than 20 thousand hours with no issues.

Jericho

Jet fuel is usually spelled out in a JP rateing, the rateing is dependent on a number of factors, Viscosity, lubricity, ash content, flash point, surfactant additives ( to combat water and alge growth) and specific gravity. Jp 1 was commonly in use in all AF aircraft into the mid 80s , jp 5 and 8 are very similar but the actual additive make up is varied. Jet AI is a civilian jet fuel commonly used in the airline industry. it and its more recent varients are more economy and Pollution control orientented. The USAF is the worlds largest single enitiy user of Jet Fuel in the world, the average air force base stores MILLIONS of gallons on any given day. A single Trim Check on an F-16 can eat up 60 thousand pounds in a jiff, and if you have a complex problem you can have a steady stream of R -10 refuellers stack up. The Air force also Uses SPECIAL or did, to fuel SR-71s, the fastest Jet in the world! Now if your real good you wil figure that out, but honestly I have lived in Jet Fuel and none of it is unaduterated! each manufacture has a slightly different recipe

trukhead

I know this is an old post, but I just want to clarify that the 3116 is NOT an electronic engine. It uses direct "plunge" injectors inline on a fuel rack that actuates them. It is a tempremental engine, and if ANYONE needs more info on this engine PM me. I am a former CAT Factory certified mechanic, and hung up my wrenches and work as an engineer now. The 3100 series was one of my specialties even though it was always too small for me to like (always loved my 3406B & E engines). I got really good at the 3116 when working for the dealer & know quite a bit about it inside & out, so I may be able to help. I'll get around to doing an introduction on here guys, I am really busy so it won't be today!
What is the service operation being preformed on these engines when it is referred to as a top-end? what adjustments are being preformed?

SsgLattig

What is the service operation being preformed on these engines when it is referred to as a top-end? what adjustments are being preformed?
a tune up or "top end" adjustment involves adjustment of the travel of the fuel rack, and valve adjustment. The valve adjustment you can do yourself, but DO NOT even TOUCH the fuel rack! It requires a specific caterpillar gage and there's ZERO tolerance when adjusting. Also, a Cat Tex gets a feel for this rack, and I have seen many other techs have this engine run away after trying to set the rack. Happens all the time, this is a very sensitive rack, so don't even Eff with it. Once you do get a tune up your engine will purr, and run WAY better. You shouldnt have to set the travel lf the rack unless you replaced an injector though, unless its hanging up. As for your valves, Cats are the easiest to do. Just get .015 & .025 feeler gages, 3/8" bolt tapered down on the end to pin the flywheel & it's easy. I don't remember off the top of my head the exact timing for the injectors since its been a number of years, but I can dig it out of my box if you can't find it, or just PM me and I'll explain it better.

trukhead

a tune up or "top end" adjustment involves adjustment of the travel of the fuel rack, and valve adjustment. The valve adjustment you can do yourself, but DO NOT even TOUCH the fuel rack! It requires a specific caterpillar gage and there's ZERO tolerance when adjusting. Also, a Cat Tex gets a feel for this rack, and I have seen many other techs have this engine run away after trying to set the rack. Happens all the time, this is a very sensitive rack, so don't even Eff with it. Once you do get a tune up your engine will purr, and run WAY better. You shouldnt have to set the travel lf the rack unless you replaced an injector though, unless its hanging up. As for your valves, Cats are the easiest to do. Just get .015 & .025 feeler gages, 3/8" bolt tapered down on the end to pin the flywheel & it's easy. I don't remember off the top of my head the exact timing for the injectors since its been a number of years, but I can dig it out of my box if you can't find it, or just PM me and I'll explain it better.
Thanks for the info! My A3 purrs right now. I will have a CAT Technician perform all the work it will need. I can fiddle with a big block or a Briggs&Stratton or even a 6.2 but I'll leave the CAT to the men with the tools. The engine runs so well I'd like to keep it that way.
I have decided that since it is my farm offroad toy, I don't like to over rev the engine above about 1,900-2,200 RPM even though it will rev pretty high (2,700). What RPM is too much for these engines in your opinion?:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks