• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ATF or propane injection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vintage iron

I have done a lot of research on adding power to a Cummins 250. I have found that adding a turbo with out changing the pump and injectors only adds about 20-25 hp and at a pretty high cost! I am think about adding propane injection or a system that injects ATF into the manifold on hills. I am picturing it like a nitrous button for diesels. Anyone have an thoughts on this?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Propane has been discussed before(as can be seen by the similar threads at the bottom of this page).

Vintage iron

Yes, I am sure it has! But as we all know the search feature doesn't work that well because of bad titles for threads. Which Thread are you referring too Doghead? Thanks

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To start, the similar threads at the bottom of this page

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a simple general search for "propane" will get you plenty of good reading if you browse through the pages of threads.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Propane or any extra INJECTION for a maybe ONE time use PULLING motor BUILT for it is one thing, I would be VERY hesitant with a road motor

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never heard of injecting ATF for power.

Propane injection works but I don't think you'll notice much on a naturally aspirated (non-turbo) engine. Propane won't increase boost because you don't have any boost with the 250.

You can add a turbo but you're putting a turbo on a engine that was never designed for one which kind of limits what you can get out of it before things start breaking.

Vintage iron

Just a small amount of ATF added to the fuel tank makes a 250 run smoother, quieter and strong! For all of those members who are afraid of getting their tanks dipped. We could inject it where and when we need it. Yes, it is true the cummins 250 was designed to be a 250. Making more power means changing the pump, injectors and adding a turbo. But then you do not have piston squirters to cool the pistons?!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know about adding ATF to the fuel tank, I've just never heard of somebody injecting it.

I've added to the tank before but didn't see much results power wise. I guess If you added a big enough ratio you could see a noticeable difference in power but I'd think that could cause other problems.

Vintage iron

I have run ATF in the tank of my of my M818 I put in 2 gallons of ATF in 40 gallons of fuel and the engine ran smoother, quieter and stronger. I know ATF has a higher BTU rating and has more lublicity so it does add more power. My truck runs good. I am just looking for a boost on big hills. I am just looking at all the options. Before putting in my Cummins 290

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
PUT the 290 in, once you do, you can pull up to 400 hp if you want (more if your heart can stand it.)

The problem of running ATF is that it has friction enhancers, this ia what does the cleaning, scouring the parts, not really the thing you want to do to an ip that has VERY CLOSE machined tollerances

Last edited:

Vintage iron

I think the 290 is plenty. That is why I bought a M923. Because it has a tilt nose, more clearance above the engine, more clearance above the transmission and the transfer case is further back. All these things make putting in a engine much easier!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Propane on a naturally aspirated diesel will not help much at all. Spraying a fuel source into (especially a liquid) the intake of a diesel would be risky. (Runaway/overspeed at WOT)

There's not a single magic bullet that will help the NHC 250. Either turbo it or swap in your 290.

Vintage iron

Thank you guys for the input. I have fully research this here on SS using the search feature and on the Web. I have been working on anything thing with wheels since I could hold a wrench. I was just trying think outside the box! It is a good point about the runaway engine! It looks like the 290 is the best option. Thanks

Heath_h49008

I would be as worried about a runaway if the relay stuck or the ATF puddled in the intake as I would be about the friction/lube washing issues.

Water methanol works dandy for your engine and we have a system you can build for $200 or less that runs off the truck's air pressure if you don't want to pay the money for a Snow or other off-the-shelf system.

I'm curious why you ruled out water-meth.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Back in the day we added ATF to clean the injectors and it seemed to work well on the old mechanical pump engines, not sure how the new ones can handle it. The 250 Cummins has the same block as the 400 and if you could find a 400 cheap I'd do that before I put money in a 250 or 290. You might have to swap oil pan.

4671 Hybrid

I've been running alt fuels for some time and don't think the ATF will give you the "boost" you're looking for. I run recycled/cleaned ATF as a fuel and while my truck does run better, it's definitely not a super fuel or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.