• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Atlanta, Ga area request

ororke1

I just replaced my front shocks, soaked nuts with PB blaster for about 30 min.,
Used a 3/4" socket, breaker bar, ratchet and 3/4 " box end wrench. All nuts came right off.

Removed the shocks.

Checked fit of new shocks. New shocks need to be compressed to fit. compressed new shocks by putting one end on concrete floor and pushing down with body weight.
Once shock is fully compressed put shock in place with top bolt and quickly line up bottom hole and insert bolt as shock expands and bottom holes line up.

Install nuts and tighten.

Total time less than 1 hr.

CycleJay

re; Atlanta, Ga area request

CJ, I am sure the number of people on this site that have recieved "professional" training on a torch is small. Everything you have asked is very basic in nature. You should be able to change out shocks with a 3/8 socket set, a few wrenches and a short pipe. The M1009 is no different than a civvy one.;)
Thanks for the information, I only ask basic questions, because it has been
a very long time since I have done any serious auto mechanic work.

I have some ratchets, and sockets, but when I got my skinny a$$ under my truck this weekend, my largest socket would not fit some of the shock nuts.

So I will have to get some sockets in the right size.. as well as a breaker bar.

Thanks, night...

CycleJay

re; Atlanta, Ga area request

I just replaced my front shocks, soaked nuts with PB blaster for about 30 min.,
Used a 3/4" socket, breaker bar, ratchet and 3/4 " box end wrench. All nuts came right off.

Removed the shocks.

Checked fit of new shocks. New shocks need to be compressed to fit. compressed new shocks by putting one end on concrete floor and pushing down with body weight.
Once shock is fully compressed put shock in place with top bolt and quickly line up bottom hole and insert bolt as shock expands and bottom holes line up.

Install nuts and tighten.

Total time less than 1 hr.
Thanks for the tip.

When I am ready to put the shocks on, I will do it that way.

But in the tight spot between the frame and body,
to get at the top bolts on the rears, did you use a ratchet or open end box wrench? and did you use the same wrench for the top bolts on the fronts?

The bottom nuts on the front and rears are very easy to get to,
no worries there.

Night...

glaser06

You can heat up those nuts all you want around that fuel tank - it the gasoline vapors that you need to concern yourself with. Hose it all down on the rear and you will not be blowing flames all over the place and it will be a selctive heat pinpoint source you will be dealing with.

Time to start accumulating tools if your going to own and be driving one of these trucks.
Whoa....gas fumes from a diesel tank? Crazy.

Also, if you need help with this I've got all the tools. In Gwinnett County too!

ororke1

It's the same size bolts and nuts on top and bottom. I've only done my fronts so far but looking at the back I plan to do the same although it does look a little tighter.

zout

What is at work here is "Flash Point".

Flash point is the tempearature at which a fuel will "self-volatize" (become a gas or vapor) and ignite in the presence of a spark or flame.

Gasoline: -45 F
Petroleum diesel: 125 F
Biodiesel: 300 F

When receiving 25,000 gallons of diesel fuel per week into our fuel islands - see how fast that driver will even allow you to smoke near him when dropping fuel into the underground tanks @with Diesel.

And yes I understood these are diesel and not gasoline units.

And from this you can see it is much safer to work around BIO than diesel and gasoline.

Scrounge41

If the bolts are frozen even after the PB Blaster and you can't just break them with the wrenches, you could cut them off with a 4" angle grinder with a thin metal cutting blade. Make sure you are using eye protection.

Matt1031

I told you before Jay, my shop's 25 minutes away in the West end (off Metropolitan Ave.) Got a two post lift, torches, welders, air tools, pretty much anything you need. It's a professional shop, not a backyard shed.

My regular shop labor rate is $60/hr (which is cheap for Atl) but if all you need is a few frozen nuts taken off, just stop by and you can borrow my impact gun no problem/no charge.

You're making a big deal out of a 1/2 hour fix. Call me if you want directions - you've got my number.

zout

Matt - FWIW that is an outstanding offer you made. I do not have any service vendors with that low of an hourly rate as a professional shop servicing us at this time.

I had seen your offer before to this member and questioned to myself why he was not all over it.
Besides that - its been years since I have ever heard anyone offering through a professional shop to loan tools.

You Da Man.

CycleJay

Hello Matt,

Thank you for the post and the offer.
My apologies, I was not trying to make a big deal out of it.
I tried to get ahold of you, but I was unsuccessful, and I did not want
bother you by trying too many times to contact you and make a pest of myself.

I will contact you when I am again ready to do this.

Thank you, Good day,

CycleJay

Hello Heavysteven,

No, that is NOT true, I would like to do it myself. So I can learn to work on my 09 myself.
I tried with my tools, but they are in adequate.

Plus they are extremely tight and some are in tight spots.

I just thought it may be helpful if someone was there while I do it,
that has done it before..

But I do want to do the work myself. So I can learn.

Good day,

ralbelt

CJ does ask a lot of questions as well as searches for answers, he seems like the type of individual who wants to understand fully the project he is about to tackle and not get half way thru a job and have problems.
Helping each other is what this hobby is all about.

CycleJay

Hello Ralbelt,

Thank you for the post, you are exactly correct.. I want to learn.
And need to know all the details from beginning to end, before a start a repair job.
So I can do it, and get it done without anything going wrong.

And I am willing to help people when I am able to, as well.

Thank you, Good day,

zout

The cookout is April 21st here - here is another offer.

Bring your shocks - bring a gallon of Crown Royal and MAGIC will happen to your shocks.
Do not blink - Do not turn your head to look away - take some of them white tablets with the cross on them so you are wide awake and alert, and them new shocks will appear on your truck.

Then after 20 minutes we can go back to the cookout and hang with everyone.

Do not come late - come early so we can get this done.

Dave's class is fast and furious and I take no names when working or have time to BS - when I work I work - when I play I play.

Now you have no excuse not to get the shocks on - nor not attend the cookout.

Anything much more on the CUCV's I will leave alone to those more competent than I, as I am just a knucklhead.

zout

Just to add some info:

This is not an open invitiation - I need to know one way or the other by making a decision as I am getting ready already for the cookout. I need to plan for this.

Either you want these shocks done an learn or not.

That is the difference with folks with these trucks already and from the past. We already knew what we were getting into and prepared for it and ready to attack them. It is a learning experience for most as it is - but you have to start somewhere and just jump in and take it as it comes. So you F up and something happens - that is called EXPERIENCE. If nothing ever happened while working on stuff - you would not learn anything.

I need to know by end of this weekend if I need to plan for this or not. I call it chit or get off the pot.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You say you do not know how to change the shocks, hum, do you by chance have the TMs for the cucv, I really doubt that thay forgot to include the R&R of the shocks, you might have missed that part, I would go back and find it, just might help a whole lot, then buy the tools you need, if you need it once, you will need id again

CycleJay

Hello 73m819,

I read the TM's for the removal and install of the shocks.
But my tools are inadequate, and I have not been able to afford yet,
to go tool shopping yet.

Sometimes after I pay my bills, not much is left of my paycheck.

Thank you for the advice.. Good day,

CycleJay

Zout,

Thank you for the offer, I will make plans to be there.
I will try to be there about 7am if I can get my old battered body out of bed at 5am..
Since you said daybreak.

Also, is it ok if I bring my gf & kids, and maybe my dog too??

I already set my phone to remind me on Friday the 20th, and Saturday morning.

Because I need & want to learn how to do these things myself.

By the way, how much do you think a gallon of Crown Royal is going to cost me? LOL

Thank you, Good day,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks