• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Atlanta, Ga area salvage yards

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Any of you know of any salvage yards in the Atlanta or surrounding area,
that one can find M1009's and/or their parts?

I have tried Marietta salvage for looking for civy blazers or equivalents,
but that has not worked out so well yet.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, good day...

123mack

There are three pull-a parts in the Atlanta area. They should have a good supply of mid 80s' trucks for parts. Just google "pull-a-part "for their locations.

CycleJay

Thanks for the info guys.

I think I would head for CSI first then, since I do know they are strictly military.
I was just hoping there would be something closer.

If I cannot find anything at CSI, then I will go to pull a part then.

123mack

For the majority of parts on a M1009, they are the same as a civvy Blazer, with the most notable exception being the 24v electrical. You'll be money ahead going to pull a part. Just as an example my M1009 had the passenger door missing when I aquired it from GL. I got a complete door from pull a part for 35.00. A little 383 green and you cant tell it's not original to the truck.

zout

Searching the web there are many yards in the Atlantqa area. Head out 675 off the south end loop and there are acres and acres of vehicles.

Like another member stated - when calling you cannot tell them HEY I have this MILITARY CUCV and I need some parts - most are just plain ole generic parts that fit them trucks (like mentioned not the 24v systems)

Gotta know first of all what fits what and there are thread upon threads of this here on the site - also to the fact of what other vehicles to look for when you head to the yards.

HEY bringing that up of even pulling parts - DID ya ever get your shocks changed out yet someone was going to change out for FREE for you ?

I hate to be synical - but this chit gets old in hurry. Nothing derogative - just a noticable visual realization.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Thanks for the information, and the tips, advice, etc.
Also, usually when I do find a salvage yard, I ask for parts for a 1985 chevy blazer,
I do not always tell them its for a M1009, or CUCV because I do not expect them
to have such things, unless I see them in their yards already.

But my last trip to Marietta salvage, when I asked for a few 85 civy blazer parts,
they did not have any vehicles even close to that at that time.

My apologies for posting chit like this, do not mean to make it old, etc.

No worries, I will try to post less often, when I need the help, a questions answered, etc.
And try to use the search function, or look elsewhere then SS.

It is just that I have not lived my life involved in this stuff like most of you guys.
So I do not know as much as all of you. And since my desire is to learn,
I do that by reading the threads, asking questions, research, etc...

To me my m1009 is my daily driver, and my bug out vehicle.
I got it because I needed something like this to drive, not as a hobby.
No offense...

As for the shocks.. That never got done, life and other things that I do not care to
mention got in the way.

By the way, no derogatory offense taken. So were good.

Good day..

zout

All I read about the CUCV is they are a high maintenance vehicle - I guess once you have one repaired as it should be with reliable repair and correctly done they are great vehicles. I do not own one and from what I read nor will I own one - personal choice and nothing against the vehicle.

Others besides myself have mentioned its not the daily driver vehicle to own unless you have it straight - can repair it yourself - have the tools and knowledge to work on it to make it a daily driver - I guess from what I only read I agree with those statements.

That offer to change them there shocks has not disappeared.

CycleJay

Hello Zout,

Thank you for the words of wisdom...
I understand the issues with the CUCV, and I am slowly getting those issues in mine taken care of.
I did the doghead mod.
I replaced the two under dash relays next to the doghead relay with relays
I got from CUCV electric.
I got the started replaced with a mil-spec starter a few months ago.
I replaced both alternators with mil-spec rebuilt alternators,
from the shop you referred me to Zout.
I replaced all the belts.
I had the sending unit in the fuel tank replaced.
I also recently installed a center console using a night vision equipment ammo type can.
Not to mention installed a solargizer on the hood, following instructions I found here on SS.

I am planning on going into the instrument cluster to clean all contacts
for the bulbs and fuel gauge, and get the speedo/cable repaired/replaced.
Replacing the shocks will come at some point in the not too distant future.
Also planning to replace the tires.
Replace all the glowplugs, after I get one of those removal tools, that looks like a socket wrench socket.
Install a tranny cooler
Install a receiver hitch
Repair the rust.
Get the body work and painting done..

All this will be done as I can afford to get it done, or do it myself.
I am also in the process of buying tools as I need them.

I really like this truck, I am not afraid of learning to fix this truck, so I will keep learning,
to gain more knowledge of it, and how to repair it myself.

It currently runs and drives great... So I am extremely happy with it, and it is working out great as a daily driver..
It runs strong, and I have no complaints.

I just need to fix smaller issues right now, such as:
The rust in the body and floor... (minor at this point)
Replace the seat belts in back, the two up front are okay, but I will replace them
soon anyway.
After the rust is done, line the floor with some form of herculiner, etc. myself.
As well as a few others I cannot remember right now.

As for the offer about the shocks Zout, thank you. I will let you know,
when I am ready for that.

Thank you all.. I need to learn, so I want to learn..

Last edited:

zout

Cyclejay - my door is always open for those that wish to learn and pay attention. I have over 49 yrs of experience in this field. I am by no means an expert not claim to be. I am willing to help in whatever way I can and I have tools up the waaaaaaaa zoooooooo to get trucks built.

No one and above all myself istrying to point you out nor hamming on you - but almost everyone here has endeavored by themself and repaired by themself to make their equipment work. Very few that I know have asked or even hinted for help = we have almost all struggled by ourselves to do learn on our own - destroy parts on our own - learn from experience - gathered tools we need to get where we are at - ABSOLUTELY we are hesitant when people come along and want chit given to them for free. Or just plain hand it out for free what took us years to achieve.

You want to learn - you need chit fixed - but since the shocks I have never heard a work from you. If it were me and someone was willing to help me I would be all over it like a fly on chit.

I have more than enough to repair body work - but again I will not be the one doing the main work while someone else watches cause it will not end pleasantly.

There is an option here for pming someone if you wish to accept that he

CycleJay

Hello Zout,

Again, thank you for the offer. I will let you know about the shocks.
But I do not expect to get anything for free.
As for doing any work on my truck, I would like to do as much of it myself as possible,
so I need to learn.
If it is something I still cannot grasp, or do not have the tools for, or the time.
Then I have it done professionally in a shop and pay for the work,
as much I do not want to.

I do not like asking for help either, but some times, the way to learn is by asking questions,
other times it is by reading, researching, hands on trial and error, etc.

And with some repairs, it is some times helpful to have a soldier B there to assist
soldier A, because some times it is not possible to complete some jobs with only
a soldier A...

With me, some times, depending on what I need to learn, it is better
if I get in person on site instruction, as opposed to reading, or being told how, etc...

As for the pm function, I know it well, and have used it before.

Thank you and good day,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks