• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ATPTac has a new deuce

ATPTac

Nice bobber! I'm jealous of your winch.
The guy we got it from said it's actually a NOS winch, not a take out. It definitely looks like it, no cable wear on it anywhere. I need to look up the synthetic cable he gave us and see what its rated at, but it looks to be new.

I can't wait to get the truck home and start going through it. Other than the blown engine and a couple boots and seals it looks to be in very good condition. If everything works out, we're going to head back up there next weekend with one of tstates 5 tons and tow bar it back home. Also going to take our '76 up there to pick up the trailer and the dump bed frame (yes it has one, just not installed), and some of the other bigger parts we couldn't fit in our cars.

I've been on the phone with Clinto and its looking like the seats are NOS HMMWV seats. The one that's installed in the truck has a different mounting system than what came with the other 5, and I didn't get a good enough look at it to be able to tell exactly what it is, but the one picture I have of it that I sent to Clinto, he seems to think it could be out of a HEMTT.

I'm going to upload all the pictures off my phone onto the computer and post them up here. I went through a couple of the boxes with small parts and there are some things in there that I have absolutely no clue what they are, lot of nuts and bolts, random connectors, some shear pins, etc...

ATPTac

Just for gits and shiggles I decided to call Hercules to see how much a new or reman engine would cost from them to replace the blown one in the bobber... and I quote "probably about $12,000". So needless to say, that's not happening. I'm going to make some calls to more local parts places and see what I can come up with.

ATPTac

WOW. You stumbled upon a gold mine!!!! Congratulations!
I'd have to agree :mrgreen:. I am getting a little frustrated trying to find an engine for the price range I was hoping for though. Looks like I'm going to have to sell off some stuff to get the funds together. There was a guy selling a NOS LDT465 on here for a very reasonable price (granted it was across the country), now I can't find the thread... I did find a local guy that sells parts and trucks that has some take out engines for a decent price, still a little higher than I was hoping for though.

Once I get a hold of the guy we bought everything from its looking like we're going to be picking up the truck and the rest of the parts this weekend. I'm a little nervous about using the tow bar, being that I've never done it before. Hopefully everything goes smoothly and we'll have her "home" this weekend.

ATPTac

Well we got the bobber and the rest of the parts today, much thanks to Tstates for supplying the 5 ton for recovering the bobber. Everything went well, thankfully the guy we bought everything from had a forklift for loading up all the heavy stuff (namely the spare blown engine). Took a little bit of time to get everything loaded up, but after that it went pretty smooth. I can say this much, backing up a M1101 on the back of the Deuce without power steering in a small parking lot is extremely tedious... I almost jack knifed it several times.

We also ran into the guy that we bought our first Deuce from. He now has a bobbed 5 ton that he just happened to be driving down the road that the bobber was parked on. I was pulling the trailer out of the lot next door and my wife signaled me to stop, and then I saw another MV coming down the road with a bunch of kids in the back (he does work with under privileged kids). So that was pretty cool, we had 4 MV's sitting around and pretty much every car that drove by slowed down and stared. There was one car that went down the road and turned around and came back by to look again.

Once we got everything hooked up and loaded up, we hit the road. Everything went smoothly in that regard minus all the idiots on the interstate that wanted to cut in between us and cut me off (I was the lead vehicle). The towed bobber did very well, tracked well also. We didn't secure the steering wheel, and it turned and corrected it self very well following the 5 ton.

All in all, it was a good successful recovery, and a good beautiful day. Although after we got our Deuce back to park it, I realized that I had been driving around all day without the hood latches secured :shock:. Apparently after I got done with my pre-trip inspection I forgot to hook them back up. Thank god the security latch held up all day, and with interstate driving, otherwise I would be buying a new hood.

I had a blast even though I'm exhausted from moving heavy parts and muscling around the Deuce all day. And now for some pictures:

Bobber recovery pictures 004.jpg Bobber recovery pictures 006.jpg Bobber recovery pictures 007.jpg Bobber recovery pictures 008.jpg Bobber recovery pictures 009.jpg Bobber recovery pictures 010.jpg Bobber recovery pictures 011.jpg Bobber recovery pictures 012.jpg Bobber recovery pictures 013.jpg Bobber recovery pictures 014.jpg

w3azel

Holy cow that 5 ton makes the bobbed deuce look like a toy. Everything looks very nice though. What are your plans on the bobbed deuce, play toy, project, or flip. It looks like your about to open a MV business.

ATPTac

Holy cow that 5 ton makes the bobbed deuce look like a toy. Everything looks very nice though. What are your plans on the bobbed deuce, play toy, project, or flip. It looks like your about to open a MV business.
I know! I thought the same thing once we got them hooked up.

Honestly, we're not really sure what the plan with the bobber is at this point. First and foremost I need to get a new engine for it, once we get it running and do some other maintenance work to it, we'll take it from there. We're leaning towards maybe flipping it, but who knows once we get it running. And as a matter of fact we've been toying around the idea of starting a MV business. I already have a side business selling tactical gear and firearm accessories (ATP Tactical, hence my screen name), so we might actually integrate this into our existing business. There's still a lot of figuring and thinking to do on that, but its looking promising :mrgreen:.

w3azel

With the other thread going on about rod bolts and the weak spots in these engines. Could you take a look at your two subjects and see what destroyed them or caused them to fail. I'm interested to see if they have similar damage and signs of failure.

ATPTac

With the other thread going on about rod bolts and the weak spots in these engines. Could you take a look at your two subjects and see what destroyed them or caused them to fail. I'm interested to see if they have similar damage and signs of failure.
The engine that's in the truck had the crankshaft break on it. It has a hole in the passenger side of the block and the drivers side also has a hole in it when the bearing cap end of the rod sticking out of the side of it. The other engine I'm not sure, but I do know it has a hole in the block as well, could be a busted crank or it threw a rod. To be honest in the case of the engines I have, it could have been abuse from over revving or excessive lugging.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks