• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ATS turbo help

KLRBILLY

I have the ATS turbo on my M1009. I noticed it was making quite a rattle and no boost yesterday. Upon further inspection I found the turbine shaft was snapped just in front of the turbine wheel.

Does anyone know the part numbers for the Garrett turbo that came with that kit?

Does anyone know if I can swap out the whole turbo with another utilizing the existing manifold?

Any help if greatly appreciated l, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KLRBILLY

The bolt pattern on the flange is a T4. I'm looking into replacing the whole turbo with one that is within the same specs.

Only issue is they all come with a turbine housing that is a v clamp style and the set up I have attaches to a down pipe with four bolts.

I think I may have found a turbo on eBay brand new for under $200. I'll just have to make a new down pipe.

KLRBILLY

Found a solution. Bought a Godspeed turbo off eBay. The brand says it's a REV9 POWER model number TC-033.
I didn't use the turbine housing it came with for a couple reasons. 1 it has a vband exhaust side instead of 4 bolts. It also was not a T4 on center so it wouldn't have lined up anyway.
So unbolt the turbine housing and slide in the turbo. I left everything loose in order to get it clocked correctly.
I had to buy another fitting for the oil supply side and m6 Allen head bolts for the drain side. The turbo seems to be decent quality. I haven't driven it out of the neighborhood but it seems to build boost at the same rate the original turbo did.
I hope this helps stump jumper. By the way the turbo cost about $192 with free shipping. Took about 12 days to get to NC from CA. If you have any other questions don't hesitate. I'll send more updates as I get some miles on it.

KLRBILLY

I've got about 75 miles on the new turbo. I'm only seeing about 5lbs of boost max regardless of how much throttle I give it. I'm thinking the fuel needs to be turned up, the IP is tired, and the injectors are tired. Basically any of those three or a combination of all. I think that was about all the boost I was getting out of the Garrett turbo that came with the ATS setup.
I'm gonna give the IP a quarter turn tonight and see how it goes tomorrow. I never get any smoke out her either which is also why I think it's running fairly lean.

teletech

I know with these old non-wastgate systems you don't get much boost as the engine tires out. In a way that's a good thing since you are putting less stress on the headgaskets and such as they age.
I had a 6.9 corn-binder motor with the ATS setup and when I bought it was seeing boosts as high as 14PSI when I got the truck. After 10 years I seldom saw double-digit boost. I tweaked the IP a touch to get back into the low teens and immediately squirted a head gasket.

KLRBILLY

I appreciate the advice guys. I'm severely limited on funds so at the moment otherwise I would have the motor out and ship off the IP, get some new injectors, new ARP head bolts, head gaskets, check the bottom end replace mains if needed, bore and hone the cylinders, new valve seals in the heads ect.
Can't get that approved by the old lady currently. I figure if I blow a head gasket or something along those lines I can say "see I told you, I just need to rebuild this thing" and then I can cut loose on the motor. I'm gonna get a donor 93 to get the serpentine system and an extra set of mostly everything since that motor was the last year for the DB2.
Believe me I know I'm playing with fire turning up the fuel. I'll be watching the pyro closely. I also have gauges for everything else.

KLRBILLY

Turned the fuel up a quarter turn. I get a hint of black smoke when I lay into the throttle. Turbo spools a lot faster now. I'm seeing 8-9 lbs of boost at WOT on flat ground. I only went a couple miles down the road but the difference is night and day. I didn't see any difference in EGTs either. All in all I would say the eBay turbo was a success. I know I need a rebuild on the IP and new fuel injectors.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks