• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

attempted theft

saddamsnightmare

March 17th, 2010.

Shadrach:

Sorry to hear your truck paid the price for some inbreds who wanted to joy ride.... Here in Texas when a man tries that, well, in most cases he leaves with lead poisoning...
Makes him very easy to find. I think my friends back in Morocco in 1971 had it right... Steal a man's property, get caught, lose a hand. Do it the third time and the axe gets your neck.
No need to molly coddle, just eliminate the bad eggs.... the rest will get the message pretty quick that crime does not pay.:rant:

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-|

Shadrach

M35

I appreciate the advice and am in the process of installing a master switch. I have also moved the truck to my place where I have already installed three well concealed digital game cameras. I put them in back when diesel was at $5.00 a gal. and someone syphoned my backhoe and pickup dry.

stumps

Spray the door handle with something that will burn like **** when they come into contact with it. That may deter them a bit.
I can't think of anything that would burn the thief's hands that won't burn you.... or etch away the door handle, for that matter.

-Chuck

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Contact Combst32. He is in Booneville and get you a steering wheel.

scrapman

A badly broken steering wheel is an amateur attempt at theft. Kids or an idiot. Small $20 bolt cutters cut the spoke or ring where the chain is with minimal damage and the chain just falls away. No need to fight with case hardened links or locks. A remote fuel & electrical shut off is best.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah.... But lets us remember that any form of BOOBY TRAP type deterent can, if actually injuring (physically or psychologically), the perpetrator of a malicious act, leave the property owner open to liability lawsuits and possible criminal reckless endagerment charges.

However, if your state has a CASTLE LAW, you may be able to shoot the perp if you feel personally endangered.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: I am no a lawyer and am not giving legal advice.... just my 2cents worth.

Shadrach

theft

The Deputy I spoke with believed it was the work of teenagers with no pre-planning involved. I already had intentions of moving the truck but, that was his advice. He figured they might come back prepared with bolt cutters next, since they had already seen the security feature in place.

Unforgiven

I have CCTV cameras pointing all around my house ... a scumbag neighbor broke in a few years ago. I know he did it but didn't have proof enough to take him to court.

Now, I have 2 cameras pointed directly at the truck & 2 more for the other cars. They run to a very high quality recorder & then to a 70" DLP television (DLP won't get "burn in" like LCD will.) Yes, it's extreme. But I don't like the fact that my unemployed neighbor (hasn't worked since 911 of 2001) has unlimited time to repeat his break in. I work long days & he knows it.

So now, while I'm on the computer or watching TV I can also monitor my entire outside areas on the DLP television. I put it in multiview mode showing all of my cameras. Loaded Glock is lubed & nearby if needed.

But I didn't hide my cameras. They are In-Your-Face so the scumbag neighbor & neighborhood teenagers understand they are being filmed, at least when they are on my property.

Occasionally I'll see teens loitering out front near the truck. Mostly they are just curious. Come on, Army trucks are cool. Still, I make it a point to go outside to let them know that I know they are there.

I also installed a battery cutoff, but not for security. I had a problem of battery drain. In fact, I'll post pics maybe next week of the install.

I say do both. Get cameras & install battery/fuel cutoffs. That way they won't steal the truck AND you will have evidence to file a vandalism lawsuit against the parents for damage to the truck.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As someone who sells and installs CCTV equipment I can tell you ALFA2 is on the right track. Video proof is a wonderful thing.

There is also another system, has built in friend or foe discriminators, audible alarm capabilities, is easily installed and wireless...............
yes but it poops.

I installed a deadbolt in the drivers door.
http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/mil/m35/lock/index.html

Last edited:

AN/ARC186

I appreciate the advice and am in the process of installing a master switch. I have also moved the truck to my place where I have already installed three well concealed digital game cameras. I put them in back when diesel was at $5.00 a gal. and someone syphoned my backhoe and pickup dry.
Here's the problem with that, covert cameras do nothing to deter the crime, they merely enable you to have a record of your crap being destroyed or stolen.

As the guys who attended the PNW mini rally can tell you, mine are right out, here I am and I'm watching you large commercial housing types.
I had video of some bastages coming up my driveway of my old place one night when I wasn't there, saw the camera's, pulled their shirts up on their faces and took off running. they never made it to my stuff.
Also consider using the dry alarm contacts on a dvr to set off a small strobe mounted under the camera, they'll look to see what flashed and you get a perfect identification shot.

ALFA2

AN/ARC186, that is a clever and practical idea, I hope you do not mind if I use it for my set up. This works of a stupid-human nature, and will get you the surprised and attentive look from your visitors. A Kodak moment to cherish...

Thanks.

ALFA2

jesusgatos

What ever happened to people respecting each others private property?
It's not a problem with 'kids today'. People have been stealing **** from each other for as long as people have had **** to steal. Sucks, but let's face it - that's the world we live in. It's always been this way, and it's not going to change.

What goes around comes around. If someone asks you for your coat, give them your shirt as well...
Can I have your Deuce?

army70deuce

Want to deter criminals plant some nice hedge rows with the really stiff holly bushes that will rip the **** out of your clothes with just one path open for the driveway, one way in one way out and anything else is 5ft tall extremely painful very thick bushes. Then just run a crush wire system under the drive, good pressure switch that requires at least 50 lbs to set it off so you don't wake up everytime an animal is walking around.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks