• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Attempted" transmission repair

wb1895

About three weeks ago I was driving my deuce and felt, what I thought was a slipping clutch. After a couple of jerks she acted like nothing was wrong. Then about a week ago I was going to help another SS member recover a M105 from Ft. Bragg, on the way I lost second and third gear. Luckily I was only 5 miles into the trip when she gave out.

I turned the deuce around and limped her home. I called White Owl and spoke with George about the issue and we were able to determine that I had sheared off the key connecting second and third gear to the main shaft of the tranny.

Today I pulled the transmission out, and began to disassemble the guts. Unfortunately I was not able to remove the main shaft due where the key sheared off, it has wedged the gear onto the main shaft.

I now just have to find a press or other method of forcing the gear off of the main shaft, so I can remove it and make the necessary repairs.

So, any ideas on how to do this are appreciated. I will post up some pictures as soon as I can to show the damage, but it got late and dark when I was trying to finish up.

Thanks again to Clinto, Neil Hendrix, and George from White Owl for their guidance

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shaft is wasted, just cut it.
What he said, with the exception of offering the challenge of splitting off the gear without nicking the cluster gear in case you choose to save it.

Is there room for getting into position to cut the gear with a small die grinder with cut off wheel?

Rick

wb1895

Yes there is room to cut it but, I am trying to save everything I can. I have a really bad case of "I'm poor", so I need to do this as cheaply as possible. What I am thinking of doing is getting two pieces of threaded rod and two nuts. Feed the threaded rod through the drive shaft bolt holes and onto the transmission case. now, thread the nuts on the rod and on the back side of the drive shaft bolt holes and start turning the nuts.

Hopefully this will provide enough force to pull the shaft out, leaving the gear inside the transmission. And "hopefully" the shaft won't be too trashed to save.

When the tranny was still in the truck, the morning of the take out. I put her into second gear and eased out on the clutch. I had the top of the tranny open and was watching te gears. second and third gear began to spin but the main shaft was not turning. I am assuming that if second and third gear would spin that it is not 'welded" onto the shaft, and that it is just REALLY stuck on.

wb1895

Another

If you look from the right, the third gear in, under the syncro, is my problem. The key sheared off and is wedged between the gear and the shaft.

Attachments

jwaller

what parts do you need? I have several trannies torn down to make repairs on mine. I have several main shafts and keys plus all the gears.

My OD conversion should be done this week. btw thanks for the overhead pics.

Last edited:

JDToumanian

I have a really bad case of "I'm poor"
These guys posting above me are awesome. I was gonna say it would be cheaper to swap out the trans for a used one, but if you're gonna get hooked up with good used innards, even better. [thumbzup]

Jon

wb1895

I need the the main shaft and the gear that is keyed onto the main shaft under second and third gear.

If you have some good parts I am interested in them PLEASE send me a PM and we can work out a price.

Thanks again

Walter

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks