• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Attempting Recovery From Huntsville Alabama to Phoenix Arizona.

Douflo

I am a new member on SS and will be attempting a recovery of a M923 from Huntsville and will drive it to Phoenix. The trip will be over 1600 miles with a stop in Texarkana to pick up a six pack of super singles.

The purpose of this post is to see if I can get contacts of SS members along the way that might be able to help if I get into trouble. I am an old Marine 3531 from Desert Storm so I can drive them but can’t fix them. All the miles I put on them in the Marine Corps I never had any problems with the M923 so I am hoping that my luck will hold out for another 1600 miles. :)

Anyway rumor has it that there are a few SS members right in Huntsville that might be able to help me get going if I have any issues. Please PM if possible. I plan on starting the recovery on Oct 10th.

My route to Texarkana TX will be to head up to Little Rock via US-72 then to I240 and I40 then I440 then I30.

Then from Texarkana TX to Phoenix I am thinking about I-20 to I-10 to El Paso and then up to Phoenix to stay away from the hills in Northern AZ.

Please if anybody is along these routes and could help in an emergency if you could PM that would be fantastic. If only for the peace of mind.

Will post pics of the adventure...

Thanks all in advance :beer:

466Navastar

"I am an old Marine 3531 from Desert Storm so I can drive them but can’t fix them"

pretty bold move - planning on driving an unknown truck 1600 miles with no fix'in skills----good luck

Chief_919

Thats a helluva risky trip in a truck that you have no clue is roadworthy or driveable and by your own admission can't work on (and therefore judge if it is roadworthy).

A haul all the way is a lot cheaper than a tow from the side of the road.

3dAngus

I kinda like the idea of driving, if you can get it started, then have a tow number and a hauling number handy if/when you need it. Hopefully you won't need it, but if you do, it might be lesser hauling fees.

I was thinking of doing the same thing for a 2000 mile journey, but now it looks like there is no way with competition being what it is on price. I'm retired, so I have the time. I would bring filters, or course, air lines for tire inflation on the go, tools, and buy batteries on location. It would be a good idea to have a knowledgeable person go over it on site before you fly over there though. Flip him some coin and maybe someone can pick it up, hold it a couple of weeks, and change some fuel filters and such for ya. Better than a cold start.

Welder Sam

Im 35 miles east of little rock just off I40E. Im set up mainly for welding. I have plenty of room if u need it. Unlimited stay time

Maybe im reading it wrong but y would u route to texarkana then back up to little rock? Im sure there is a more efficient route thru southern Ar or even La to get to 30S. From there, 20 to 10 will take u right home. Made the 10,20,30,40 trip many times, both east and west bound. Be careful on the Ar freeways as ASP doesnt like our low FMV top speeds on their big roads. Just a few thoughts for ya. I may hollar when im out ur way next time for a ride!

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't even think of doing that without someone getting it then checking it out (very well) before starting that adventure. What's the plan if something breaks-bad?

Cleptomaniac

Im in Oklahoma City never got my hands on a 900 yet but have deuces!! Lot better guys in the area than me but am here and am willing to help any way I can. PM for cell number. Even if your good when you come threw call and ill buy you supper. Always enjoy getting to talk toys:)

Douflo

First I want to thank everyone for your PM's and your replies. Keep them coming. The members of SS are amazing!!!

Sam didnt mean to confuse. I will be starting in Huntsville and heading to Texarkana then onto Phoenix. It seems that passing through Memphis and Little Rock was the best way to stay on the Interstate.

Also to address some others, I do have a back up plan. The plan is to fly out and look over the truck. If its road worthy my buddy and I will start our trip, if its not up to the task we will drive it off site and park it in an RV storage area and then ship it to Phoenix, then fly back home.

Just worried my sense of adventure will overide my sensibility if its not ready to drive.:)

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being in Huntsville, you will be WAY better off giving a local a few bucks to get the truck and look it over. There are many nearby and you will be WAY better off in the end.:beer:

Douflo

That was definitely one of my objectives from my first post. A few other members have indicated that there are a few members that are close to the base. I hope to hear from one of them. I agree I would prefer to have someone with some mechanical ability to look it over before I start.

rsbanker

Good Luck Douflo - I did 850 miles when I got mine. Might not have been the smartest thing I've done in a while, but it was certainly one of the funnest (my wife might not agree though - she had to follow behind me at 45 miles an hour...).

Travel safe...

pgwaldner

I am 1-1/2 hours east of Huntsville. If you need to park it here for a while that would be fine. I am between hwy 72 and 278. A little off route, but available if needed.

Douflo

Success!!!

First I want to thank everyone on SS for all your good advice and PM's.

I just wanted to post an update and will post more details at a later time with PICs.

2.5 days and 1758 miles of driving the truck made it home with a few minor issues.

After I get some sleep I will post a more detailed post.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks