• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Attempting to manufacture my own hard top from scratch.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Necessity is the Mother of ALL invention!" My hat is off to you Sir!! I agree with another prior statement, AMAZING what one can do, when they don't know they aren't suppose to be able to do it!! Please keep the comments and photos coming! How much ya think it's gonna weigh, when it's completed? THANKS for sharing your adventure!

SirKen

I finally purchased some additional sheet steel and plan on continuing this project to completion. Sorry for the delay in updates but no one would just give my steel unless I paid for it; therefore, the project had to be put on hold until now. The wife bought me 4 new Goodyear 14.00 R20 for the rear axles and I just put them on the rim and on the truck myself. This followed my local tire shop trying and giving up on installation. New O'rings, valve stems, and sanding/painting. This put my CTIS system back on line and I couldn't be much happier.

20150703_104144.jpg

Another Ahab

Sorry for the delay in updates but no one would just give my steel unless I paid for it; therefore, the project had to be put on hold until now. The wife bought me 4 new Goodyear 14.00 R20 for the rear axles and I just put them on the rim and on the truck myself.
There has GOT to be a story there of some kind:

- "Honey, I was just driving through the warehouse district and thought I'd pick you up a few tires while I was there...."

Are you guys evened-up now, or do you maybe owe her. What's the scoop, SirKen!?

AZK9

With my failed search for a decent steel hardtop at a 'reasonable price', I've been thinking about
doing a project like this. Though I'm much more skilled at building with fiberglass materials...
especially at points such as the rear corners... I really like what SirKen had been doing here.

Wondering if there might be any additional photos that might shed some light on where this project
stands at this point.

It's a great project. [thumbzup] Any updates?

wdbtchr

With my failed search for a decent steel hardtop at a 'reasonable price', I've been thinking about
doing a project like this. Though I'm much more skilled at building with fiberglass materials...
especially at points such as the rear corners... I really like what SirKen had been doing here.

Wondering if there might be any additional photos that might shed some light on where this project
stands at this point.

It's a great project. [thumbzup] Any updates?
That's what I was thinking originally, making it out of wood then fiber glassing over that like a boat hull, think Popular Mechanics circa the 60's. As an ex-carpenter I was more comfortable working in wood, hence my tag wdbtchr(woodbutcher). Hadn't figured out how to do the corners yet when I found an original metal top off a forestry water tanker that was being scrapped, the bottom angle was pretty roached but repair was less work than starting over from scratch and it cured the corner problem. If I ever get caught up on projects, fat chance, I may still try to do it in wood just for fun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks