• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ATTENTION: [IMG] tags

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
photobucket is even easier...

I realize once the photo is uploaded to steelsoldiers it's no longer hosted from my source. The issue I have is the size limitation. I'm not about to have to download images, resize them, then upload them again to here. Photobucket will automatically resize my pics down to 1024x768, no fuss no muss.

91W350

I also have a photobucket account, but I do not have an easy app for it. Facebook must resize the images as I never have to on the ones I use from their pages. Just a matter of preference I guess. A lot of my friends get a kick out of looking at the odd ball stuff I upload. Glen

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I understand your concern about stuff "disappearing". (I see a lot of stuff has disappeared here over the years moving from phpBB to vB) But to those of us with mobile smart phones, this is a real hindrance. I have everything of mine hosted on photobucket. I tend to repost a lot of my stuff to the various other forums I'm a member or staff of. My "camera" [iPhone] has an app that allows me to directly upload my images to photobucket. It's so much simpler and easier to post my images that way. (Heck I can't even remember the last time I used our digital camera) Being in IT myself for the past decade, I can't say I won't loose images. But in the 6 or so years I've had my photobucket account, I've never lost or even deleted anything I've posted. (Knowing that it'd case a dead link for people.) To make my images display here I'd have to physically connect my phone to a PC (or email them to myself), download the pics, resize the pics, then upload the pics to the site. (something I'm not going to bother with) Instead of simply launching an app on my phone, upload the pics, then copy and paste them into my posts here.

I realize the concerns, but given the date of this decision for the site, could we re-consider it to keep up with the times?
I see this thread has had more views since yesterday. Has there been any futher consideration to this?

91W350

To make my images display here I'd have to physically connect my phone to a PC (or email them to myself), download the pics, resize the pics, then upload the pics to the site. (something I'm not going to bother with) Instead of simply launching an app on my phone, upload the pics, then copy and paste them into my posts here.
Why not go from your computer to Photobucket, right click the image, save it to your computer and upload to the site. That is what I have been doing with phone photos, only I use Facebook as it auto resizes, the same thing you like about Photobucket. Glen

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Why not go from your computer to Photobucket, right click the image, save it to your computer and upload to the site. That is what I have been doing with phone photos, only I use Facebook as it auto resizes, the same thing you like about Photobucket. Glen
So...

1. Take pic from phone.
2. Use the photobucket app I have to upload my pics
3. Have to go over to a computer and download my pics
4. Upload the pics back to the site

Instead of...

1. Take pic from phone
2. Upload to photobucket
3. copy/paste link into thread reply I'm doing from phone.
4*. Before I click the post thread reply I could also copy the entire reply and repost it on other sites.

At this point, I have some great pics of the work I'm doing on my M35A2 (oil cooler, oil change, exc.), but I don't see the point in posting them here. I understand why they crippled the site, I don't agree with it, but it's their site to run.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1. SS resizes automatically ,when you attach images in the forums.

2. I realize it is more work to save the images to your machine and then upload to SS vs. simply linking them from PB, thus causing you frustration but it is also frustrating to find an older post that a person who is no longer in the hobby put up and their images are nowhere to be found.

One way or another, we can't make everyone happy-either make it easier for folks to put up images and lose control of images and watch older threads slowly but surely lose their images or keep our current policy in place and irritate those who want to hose images offsite.

Last edited by a moderator:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I look at it this way, I DONT need face book, photo bucket, my space, twitter, and ALL the other social network sites, keeps my life nice and SIMPLE. If I need a picture, I take it ( my wife if I need a good one) up load to the computer, then the site, OH SO SIMPLE

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simply put, this website is not desinged for phone use.

Use a camera and a computer and enjoy the full benefits of the site. If not, suffer.

Maybe in the future, that could change.

fwiw, I never clink on links to peoples pictures, ever.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I never clink on links to peoples pictures, ever.
That's my argument exactly. It's not a matter of asking members to sign up for other sites. It's just a workflow that is used on 99% of other forums. One that works out of the box with vB.

I realize part of the desicsion is to KISS the image process for less savvy members and to keep images forever (I have to chukle at that though).

Like I've said, it's not my site, I don't run the show. I just believe the concept is flawed. I personally don't want to jump through hoops to share my images to the multiple sites I frequent.

*posted from my highly frown upon smartphone while I'm in line at Disney :rolleyes:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
patracy...

Albanian: No
Basque: Ez
Bosnian: Ne
Brazilian Portuguese: Não
Catalan: No
Croatian: Ne
Czech: Ne
Danish: Nej
Dutch: Nee
English: No
Esperanto: Ne
Estonian: Ei
Faroese: Nei
Finnish: Ei
French: Non
German: Nein
Greek: όχι
Greenlandic: Naa,Naamik
Hungarian: Nem
Icelandic: Nei
Indonesian: Tidak (Bukan)
Inuktitut/Inuit: Nakka, Naggai
Italian: No
Japanese: Nashie
Korean: Anio
Latin: Non est
Latvian: nē
Lithuanian: ne
Norwegian: Nei
Polish: Nie

Portuguese: Não
Romanian: Nu
Serbian: Ne
Slovak: Nie
Spanish: No
Swahili: hakuna
Swedish: Nej
Turkish: yok

let it go.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Didn't I already?

patracy said:
At this point, I have some great pics of the work I'm doing on my M35A2 (oil cooler, oil change, exc.), but I don't see the point in posting them here. I understand why they crippled the site, I don't agree with it, but it's their site to run.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand why they crippled the site, I don't agree with it, but it's their site to run.

Site's not crippled. Works OK and most all folks who want to post pics, can. Maybe smartphones are crippling people or the smartphone designers need to design a smarter smartphone.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I thought I already dropped this? Guess everyone needs a villain....

Splitting hairs, but yes, the site has been "crippled" to not allow the IMG tag to convert it to html insert image tag. There's a lot of "magic" that happens behind the scenes on forums. What you're reading is the HTML output of the normal text you type in. The site runs on PHP, which to dumb down, takes your input and commits it to the database. The PHP server then whips all the tags you add into your posts into a HTML output. That allows the viewed page to have all your bolding/fonts/exc. Along with many other background things. You mentioned the site works fine and I have a sucky smartphone. Funny, everything I've mentioned works fine on every other site I frequent.

I'm done. You win. I suck.

I hope that will suffice for the lynch mob, but if not, feel free to carry on. I can still sleep soundly at night knowing that I've been owned by some keyboard commando. :roll:

*Thread unsubscribed, time to spend quality time with the family planning our next day at Epcot. :mrgreen:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess my only point is that regardless of all the technical aspect of it, there are almost zero dead pic links. Show me a forum that allows img tags that has as few dead links and I'll lobby on your behalf to the owners of the site. I'm confident that there isn't one because no matter what kind of forum or software it is, they can't maintain the pics if they are hosted elsewhere.

Last edited:

3dAngus

Dang! I hate to jump in on this one, but truth be told, patracy makes some good points, though only are applicable to modern day techies or housewifes with older kids.
3G and 4G phones are very powerful, and once one gets used to them it is difficult to be handicapped by older technology. It happens.

One person cannot do it all. No simple solution here, but all voices should be heard about technologies with an open mind. Maybe some day.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Figure out a way around the dead links and I'll lobby my backside off for you guys.
Figure out a way to provide 100% uptime for SS and no further data losses and I'll lobby for the current way. :p

It's just not going to happen. As I've said, there's good and bad for both sides of the coin. I've stated over and over I understand, but don't agree. I'm not going to change your minds, nor will you change mine. I just loathe the internal image hosting in vB, and I RUN a few of these sites.

FWIW, here's one of the first images I uploaded to photobucket. About seven years ago when maybe 100 people used photobucket.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/patracy/bike_parts_009.jpg

I personally never deleted any of my images just because of the phobia expressed here. I don't like dead links. Just as much as I hate blank vBulletin posts or linkbacks to dead thread from previous forum versions....

Now where's that unsubscribe button I forgot to click. Ya'll interrupted me looking at Epcot maps on my phone. :eek:

3dAngus

No need, no point in unsubscribing. Just cool off, sleep on it, and come back tomorrow.
Your contribution is appreciated, ..... sometimes. <grin>

And everbody has something to offer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks