• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ATTN Bjorn and other Bio gurus....

EZFEED

I've been running into some serious problems here in LA with procuring WVO.

Up till now I have been doing well with collecting raw product from a few resturants here in my area but now this shark of a company has moved in and swallowed the whole school of my suppliers. :cry: I have enough storage for over 800 gallons and have collected 150 + - gallons so far till these guys hit me. The company's name is Griffin Industries and they have become the primary collector of WVO from Lake Charles to New Orleans.

Here's my question, what do you guys do to overcome this? Hell I even tried asking them if i could purchase the raw product from them and the dude just chuckled and said "Yeah, for $2 a gallon!". Freak'in a*wipe if you ask me. :evil:

Does anyone know what the going rate is for raw WVO per gallon? What do these guys pay the resturaunts for picking it up? I was getting it for free but now it seems there is some monetary bind between my former customers and this company and I'd wager to say that it isn't a considerable sum but enough to make them want to do buisness with them. No one will tell me what the price is but I bet if I offered slightly higher I could snag my supply back and it still be worth it in the long run.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I know one bio co-op in NC is charging something like $3.50 a gallon for biodiesel. Kind of defeats the purpose of doing WVO when prices are far above the cost regular fuel. This is the problem with a good thing like this gets to too many ears. I am just getting into this, and I am afraid I am catching the end of things. I have been thinking more of hitting the Jiffy Lube to get their waste oil. Filter the heck out of it, and then blend it with regular diesel.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep searching - you might have to go a little outside your area, say, 20 miles or so, to find a few mom and pop places that will give away the WVO. DON'T GIVE UP, that's what the oil companies WANT you to do.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The decision is up to ther manager of the restaurant.
The renderer will place a grease dumpster at the reastaurant for a fee of perhaps $300/year and collect ALL kitchen grease and used VO, including some water and cleansers.

I work with the manager of the one restaurant reasonable near me and they call me when they change oil in their friers. When they do, I drive to the back of the restaurant and the WVO is dumped in the steel trash can I bring (see image). Getting clean oil makes it easy for me to process.

Removing used VO from the dumpster could be equal the stealing, but it's up to the restaurant manager if the oil goes in the dumpster or into my trash can.

That's it in a nutshell.

Attachments

5tonpuller

RE: No Guru but

OR find out what they pay and offer more. Then when they out bid you stay out. Make them pay.
But that is not cost effective for you.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

As time passes I am more interested in being able to run on biodiesel/veggie oil than doing it only because it may be a way to cut cost of operating the vehicle.
Just having the option gives me a sense of satisfaction. Thinking about getting fresh oil now.....bypassing the messy filterering. In addition, fresh veggie oil is not acid, but neutral (pH wise).

Crazyguyla

I'm sure if you wonder south on HWY 90 and hit all the family owned delies between Lafayette and Thibadueax, you'll be able to score some used VO. Just thinking of it makes me want a big fried shrimp poorboy and some fried gator.. Mmmm

jwaller

This is exactly what has happened in my area too. I believe the company is paying about 5cents/G for the old oil. the place I get mine said they pay so little he didnt care if I still got it from them.

superburban

We went through this B.S. here in Salt Lake about a year ago. I have had to resort to travelling about a hundred miles to collect my oil! I collect in 55 gallon drums once a month, so it is still worth it for me to continue, even though it takes a long time in travel.

ojsdna744

Companies that put up decorative fountains, ect. for events? He could try calling them if he's having a hard time finding veggie from restaurants and such....just thinking of ideas....... :roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks