• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ATTN: Sparkys. Reverse light, relay, and load questions.

Mohawk Dave

Hey Guys,

Ok, new project. Adding a 55w reverse light from another MV. I would like to wire it so that it has a dedicated switch, but can only be energized while in reverse. So do I need a relay for this, or do they make a switch I am unaware of that has a built in "energizer/relay"? Just to clarify, I want the light optional so if I am in a public place I do not blind innocent bystanders-thus a switch. And I want to have it energized "only in Reverse" so it will cut power when out of reverse, if left on during trail rides etc.

Do they make this switch?
If I do need a relay, what size?

And lastly, if for some reason I do decide to have it wired directly to the Reverse lights, will the stock wire handle the load for the additional 55w bulb? or do I need to plan on running a new wire either way?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure what the factory reverse light switch is rated but I'd guess not for that 55W bulb. I would tap that switch to trigger a relay through a secondary spst switch so that you can operate the light with the switch but only when the reverse lights are on.