• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Australia: Importing US MV's

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G'day everyone,...

Yeah I have video but need to fix my home connection before I can upload it.
Things have been breaking down all at once here.

I'll get it sorted ASAP.

Aussie.
I'm sure with all the patience you've acquired, you'll get that home connection squared away. What are you planning on using her for? Entertainment? Employment? Ranch? From one continent to another, another amazing journey for a Deuce!

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,...

Post Mission report.

Got up today and went out to go collect my Deuce from the brake place.
Arrived around 11am and there is my Deuce just where I left it.
The brake line has been replace along the front axle, they reused the armour that was on the original line as the armour that was sent to them for the replacement line was just slightly smaller in diameter.
I have it as I can use it elsewhere.
The brake peddle now feels a lot better, firmer and all the way.
The truck stops much better.
Still not as good as disc brakes but for a 6.5 ton truck with drum brakes all around, not bad at all.
I will just have to change my driving to allow for slightly longer stopping distance.
Also, until I got it onto the highway she blew bluish grey smoke under load, I put that down to all the time it has been sitting idle and some unburnt fuel in the exhaust system from turning it over to get it started 2 days ago,....
It cleared up once it had a good run on the highway for about 100klms.
Anyway, $300.00 later from not only the brake line fix but getting the rear wheel put on CORRECTLY I thanked the guy for his work and we left to go fill the fuel tank for the run home.
I put 160ltrs in the tank and just short of brimmed the tank as I had just on 100klms/60miles to go and when I got there the tank had the correct fuel level in it for a full tank!
The fuel gauge shows just over 3/4 of a tank when it is at this level.
Something to keep in mind for future reference.
While I was filling up some old guys in a ute stopped on the other side of the pump to look the truck over and I had a couple of truck drivers walk around having a good look-see!
I think the Deuce is a people pleaser!
I have to admit the steering is heavy and I will need to get used to that big steering wheel and how many turns it takes to go around corners!
It is better at road speed of course.
Once on the highway I stayed in the left lanes all the way back as I kept to 45miles an hour or in our terms 75 kilometres an hour and that was fun when the speed limit is 100klm.
I kept the tachometer at 2k-21kRPM and she runs smooth there.
I got off the main highway and went home a back way on the old highway with less traffic until I needed to get onto the country roads.
Funny thing is I was passed by a Police booze buss and a 'dog-box' (Divy-van) when on the highway both vehicles as they passed had the people inside cheaking the truck out.
Later on the country road I was again passed by a country cop in his 4x4 who slowed a little to cheak out the truck but kept going,...
The temp gauge showed 165F at cruising speed and it was mid to high 20deg C here today, sunny with light cool breeze.
Oil pressure was spot on all day.

I will need to spend at least a day putting everything back where it belongs that was NOT refitted by those who 'cleaned it'.
And then I will need to clean it correctly and detail it!
Now it is safely home and in storage I have drained the air tanks, not as much moisture in them as I was expecting.
But a solid stream initially, clear fluid then vapour until just air.
I will also have to tighten the mirrors as they moved a couple of times and I had to push them back a little.
Oh and I must not forget the front left indicator globe that's not working.
As I did a final walk around I did notice some small wet droplet patches that look like it might be brake fluid from the rear brakes on the rear wheels/tyres.
Will have to track that down, also while under the Deuce I did notice some fresh oil leaks around drive line components and down side of engine,...
Will have to clean all that and make sure its not a major issue or just part of Deuce ownership!
Pictures/ video to follow.

End Report.

And what I plan on doing with it is club trips/events and personnel camping, Hunting, and touring trips.
Just for the fun of it!

Aussie.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

G'day everyone,...

I put 160ltrs in the tank and just short of brimmed the tank as I had just on 100klms/60miles to go and when I got there the tank had the correct fuel level in it for a full tank!
The fuel gauge shows just over 3/4 of a tank when it is at this level.
Something to keep in mind for future reference.
While I was filling up some old guys in a ute stopped on the other side of the pump to look the truck over and I had a couple of truck drivers walk around having a good look-see!
I think the Deuce is a people pleaser!

Aussie.
I unloaded my Deuce a while back, but I do remember the warning from others not to trust the fuel gauge. A length of dowel or something to use as a dipstick wouldn't be a bad idea.

And it sounds like you're already having a good time with your Deuce, AB; that's great! [thumbzup]

Last edited:

AZK9

Good to hear that you've got your deuce safe and at home where it belongs!

Seems like it's been a L_O_N_G journey! Have fun with it! [thumbzup]

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK! Any updates? How are you two getting along? Friends forever? Or soon to part ways? Did ya ever get your connection at home straightened out? How is she dealing with the Australian enviro? Just curious,,,,,followed the thread so long,,,,,

Another Ahab

OK! Any updates? How are you two getting along? Friends forever? Or soon to part ways? Did ya ever get your connection at home straightened out? How is she dealing with the Australian enviro? Just curious,,,,,followed the thread so long,,,,,
Yes, true, true; we all want to know:

- Everything good?

- Still in the honeymoon stage!?

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Actually not just 5 mins ago the new battery box I got for my Deuce arrived!
The current battery box is the metal one and the battery clamps are a little to close to the edge of it for my liking!
I can just see the insulation on the cables wearing out and then it shorting out and god forbid it start an electrical fire!
I also like how the new style battery box is secured.

A few days ago I took my Deuce out for the second time, I had to get a new set of battery's for it, it started in less that a full revolution with fresh batterys.
I went about 40klms and then stopped under some trees, got out my tools and started putting back the nuts and bolts AQIS didn't put back.
I refitted the air intake mushroom.
I cheaked the brake fluid level and found it just under the low mark in the remote reservoir.
I topped it off and when I got back it was still full, I was hoping it was just air trapped between the master cylinder and the remote from when the brake line was fixed.
I will be keeping an eye on it.

Also the passenger side windscreen hinge lock was BENT!
I fixed that so now it fits back together again.
I cannot believe how much damage AQIS can do.

Aussie.

Last edited:

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Well I was fortunate enough I guess to find a Deuce in the condition/configuration I wanted with the only real exception being I would love to get that Whistler Turbo.
The battery box was just a cosmetic change really, that and I think it will be safer than the metal one in it because vibration over time will cut into the cable insulation and the last thing I need is an electrical fire.
As I come from a whole family of engineers in mostly the aviation field and automotive side I can see how these things happen. Goodness knows I've had to fix enough of these sort of things for others.

The only other item I will be dealing with is as I have already arranged is I am having the seats recovered as the drivers seat has well and truly worn out.
Other than those things I guess and hope I won't need to attend to anything other than routine maintenance and washing my Deuce.
:)

Oh and keeping the packs of girls away from it,....
well ok,... maybe I won't be trying so hard on that issue,...
;)

Aussie.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Ok,... so today I took my Deuce to go get its roadworthy certificate.

Went a lot smoother than I thought.

Guy just looked around it, made a few notes while he watched me change out an indicator globe that wasn't working so now they all DO!

Took it out to do a brake test and all done!

Only one more trip needed to get the car club paperwork done as they need to visually see that it is safe to be on the road and it will be registered and all leagal.

While doing my pre-mission inspection the brake fluid level was half way between full and low so I toped it off.

I guess the last of the air in it must have worked its way out!

At least that's what I am hoping.

Aussie.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Nobody in the VMVC have a Deuce.
I have only heard of a couple of others in Australia and as far as I know from what I am told by them I have the only known multifuel.
I have been to a couple of their meetings and they all seem to be great people, but then they are MV collectors!
;)

This weekend I am going to get the final piece of paperwork done to get my Deuce registered and join a car club so I can get club plates/cheap rego.
By the following Monday I plan on being 100% road legal.

Right now I am driving around on a temporary permit.

Aussie.

Another Ahab

G'day everyone,....

Nobody in the VMVC have a Deuce.
I have only heard of a couple of others in Australia and as far as I know from what I am told by them I have the only known multifuel.
I have been to a couple of their meetings and they all seem to be great people, but then they are MV collectors!

Aussie.
Well, that makes you mighty special Aussie Bloke; but all of us here knew that already! [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks