• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Authentic Side Mirrors

Gamble

Apparently, there are a lot of fake Chinese crap out there being passed around as authentic hmmwv am general side mirrors. I have a couple of questions. How can a person tell OEM mirrors from aftermarket nonsense?
Aren't the mounting brackets made of metal on the OEM mirrors? If so, is it steel or aluminum?

Thanks

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Apparently, there are a lot of fake Chinese crap out there being passed around as authentic hmmwv am general side mirrors. I have a couple of questions. How can a person tell OEM mirrors from aftermarket nonsense?
Aren't the mounting brackets made of metal on the OEM mirrors? If so, is it steel or aluminum?

Thanks
I have a set of the chinese ones. Hardware is all metric, paint flakes off easily. Mounting brackets are metal on them, aluminum. There is a spacer on the bottom mount that's iron, mine is rusting.
They seem to work okay, a little hard to adjust and hard to keep positioned.

Not sure exactly how to tell the difference, but my usual method for parts is find the cheapest ones out there, and any parts that are identical (but more expensive) get ignored. They're never completely identical.

Gamble

Thanks. So I bought these from one of the well known hmmwv parts dealers who sold them as OEM:

IMG_20200509_143928.jpg
IMG_20200509_143924.jpg
IMG_20200509_143858.jpg
These smell like fresh paint.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mine the bottom bracket for the mirror is straight, not curved like that.
You can also look for the NSN on the mirror housing.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
They look right... but the over spray and painted housings is hiding something. Molded black or green hard plastic for the mirror housing.

I see something fishy... CAMO

Gamble

They look right... but the over spray and painted housings is hiding something. Molded black or green hard plastic for the mirror housing.

I see something fishy... CAMO
IMG_20200509_213154.jpg
IMG_20200509_213238.jpg
IMG_20200509_213223.jpg

As you can see lots of overspray. Plus there is 'MLC' on the back of one of the mirrors. Anyone know what that is?

On 2nd thought I think the one with the MLC is legit.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gamble

Ok, I figured it out. The one with the 'MLC' is not OEM but American made. The tell tell sign is the MLC on the back and the curved mirror adjustment beacket at the bottom. Vendor said they have sold 100s of these pairs over the years with no complaints. One is OEM and one is aftermarket. They are painted because one is originally black and the other is originally green. So they slap this paint on to make them match.

DREDnot

MLC= Main Land China! Just kidding.

Ive seen two types of large GI mirrors. The rounded style, and the square style.
They always have the NSN molded on the backside.
The rounded style(older?) are the most common. And ive only seen them molded in green plastic with matching green plastic upper and lower spacers
The square style(newer?) are harder to come by and Ive only seen them molded in black.
Its typical to see either one resprayed tan or green.

The bracketry is aluminum like almost everything on the HMMWV.

Attachments

Last edited:
You know, if your careful you can pop the mirror glass out and spray them. You have to take the top one out first. The only thing that holds the glass in is the tab. I popped the glass out and painted mine black. You do have to be extremely careful.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a $170 set of eBay mirrors last year and while they seem to be holding up I second complaints that they are difficult to keep positioned (no detent inside the mount to remember their position when bumped) and the mirror face is not perfectly flat so I get some fisheye around the edges. Would NOT buy again.
BDGR

JKDAY

MLC= Main Land China! Just kidding.

Ive seen two types of large GI mirrors. The rounded style, and the square style.
They always have the NSN molded on the backside.
The rounded style(older?) are the most common. And ive only seen them molded in green plastic with matching green plastic upper and lower spacers
The square style(newer?) are harder to come by and Ive only seen them molded in black.
Its typical to see either one resprayed tan or green.

The bracketry is aluminum like almost everything on the HMMWV.
DREDnot,

Is the NSN for the square mirrors different? If so, could you post it? I've been looking for those mirrors. Thanks.

Crapgame

TTBOMK, the GI parts have the part number molded into the ribbed backside of the housing, the imports do not. All mine have the bracket arms made from steel or aluminum. I don't know if the round spacer should be aluminum or plastic on the Genuine Issue part, but I know the tan import I bought the spacers are plastic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks