• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Auto Start and Transfer for 803A

csheath

Has anyone devised a way to make a MEP803A auto start and transfer power in an outage?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lonesouth has you covered. I have to ask... why do you want autostart? I know its a super popular option on many modern standby generators (noncommerical), but I never understood the appeal. I like to have complete control over when, and why, my generator runs.

I know some folks need the power to remain uninterrupted, but I just like to find out why folks choose what they do :)

csheath

Lonesouth has you covered. I have to ask... why do you want autostart? I know its a super popular option on many modern standby generators (noncommerical), but I never understood the appeal. I like to have complete control over when, and why, my generator runs.

I know some folks need the power to remain uninterrupted, but I just like to find out why folks choose what they do :)
Wife

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my case it is for ease of use for the wife. Going through a start procedure on a diesel isn't what she wants to do when the power goes out. Flipping a switch at the generator then flipping the transfer switch is reasonable to her. Anything more is not.

jamawieb

https://inovahightech.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=20
Peter from inovahightech makes the auto start board for these units and its awesome. Green mountain generators actually sells his boards. The board will auto start and then activate the lugs. I have a 002a that is for personal use and I use Peter's board, then installed a 24 volt wireless remote to it from ebay. So all the wife has to do is hit a button on the wireless remote to start the generator and then move the manual interlock and she's set.

Sodamo

I have the 803a with Peter's autostart board installed and on a transfer switch : http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?154027-MEP-803A-as-off-grid-solar-backup

as for why - we live totally off grid. Sometimes the generator has to come on at an inconvenient time. Most of Sep wife and I were on vacation half a world away, house sitter didn't need to know how to start/monitor the generator, I could monitor/control from my iPad or iPhone.

lonesouth

as for why - we live totally off grid. Sometimes the generator has to come on at an inconvenient time. Most of Sep wife and I were on vacation half a world away, house sitter didn't need to know how to start/monitor the generator, I could monitor/control from my iPad or iPhone.
that's pretty slick

Firebrand

Thanks for that insight. Reading up on operating my new to me 803A had me concerned about wet stacking. Last thing I need would be to run my gear only to bunch it up and require a tear down to correct.

Guyfang

Staff member
No teardown required. Simply load it up, starting at, say, 4-5 KW, and let er rip for a hour or two. Then up the ante, to say, 6-7 Kw and run a while. When your set runs good and steady, and the exhaust is fairly clean, step it up again. Continue to 120%. But like I said, its not a problem during short time usage.

Firebrand

Great. Seems simple enough except that now, in addition to building the new wiring and components into my home, I need a maintenance item costing more dollars. The exercise protocol seems easy enough. What's the most obvious telltale sign you've been wet stacked?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great. Seems simple enough except that now, in addition to building the new wiring and components into my home, I need a maintenance item costing more dollars. The exercise protocol seems easy enough. What's the most obvious telltale sign you've been wet stacked?
You'll see more smoke (than usual) in the exhaust when loaded and in severe cases the exhaust will be clogged to the severity to reduce the amount of power the generator can produce.

It will be harder to tell if you have a problem at light loads. Sometimes you can see a gooey mess around the exhaust flanges. This isn't a sure sign. Load testing is the most accurate way to see where you stand.

Guyfang

Staff member
I have seen goo running down the side of a set that looked like an outbreak of crawling tar. But mostly its just like Dieseladdict told you. Slow reaction times to load increases, or the set can simply die out. But that is extreme.