• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Auto transmission cooler theory

cucvrus

Once again I am glad I left well enough alone. May not be the best but it is good enough the way it came from the box. And it runs and goes down the road well. And in the end that is what every drivers/owners objective is. It was most entertaining reading all the facts and fiction. As always its off to work with the CUCV's. The snow is falling heavily in south central Pennsylvania. DSCF6148.jpgDSCF6151.jpgDSCF6163.jpgDSCF6175.jpgDSCF6168.jpgI have them all loaded up and ready for action. I put the M1009 in the other bay. It is also loaded with salt and ready to go. Bagged salt in back of that secured. Thank you Rusty Stud for your valuable experience. These transmissions will get a good workout today.

MarcusOReallyus

So we can safely say you are Not an engineer or a mechanic by trade then.
Actually, I AM an engineer, but this is not rocket science, so I wasn't trying to impress people with my credentials. the facts should speak for themselves.

Your correct, though I wouldn't use a aftermarket seller to prove my point as they have a "personal" agenda ie: to sell products.

That is EXACTLY right!

The temp of the transmission is kepted pretty close to optimal by using the radiator cooling. If the fluid is cold then the radiator will warm it up. If it's too hot the radiator cooler will cool it down.
Right again. I have to wonder if you are reading what I'm posting, because you keep making my points. If you live in Alaska, and you put an aux cooler AFTER the radiator, you are likely going to cool the transmission too much. In his case, it makes sense to put it BEFORE the trans, if he even needs one at all.

If you live in Tuscon, that might not be a bad idea just to keep the trans heat out of the engine, and you might want ANOTHER one after the radiator to cool it even more, because in that climate the radiator might be struggling to keep it cool enough.

AS someone mentioned earlier, a trans temp gauge or two would answer that question.

Last edited:

rustystud

Actually, I AM an engineer, but this is not rocket science, so I wasn't trying to impress people with my credentials. the facts should speak for themselves.

That is EXACTLY right!

Right again. I have to wonder if you are reading what I'm posting, because you keep making my points. If you live in Alaska, and you put an aux cooler AFTER the radiator, you are likely going to cool the transmission too much. In his case, it makes sense to put it BEFORE the trans, if he even needs one at all.

If you live in Tuscon, that might not be a bad idea just to keep the trans heat out of the engine, and you might want ANOTHER one after the radiator to cool it even more, because in that climate the radiator might be struggling to keep it cool enough.

AS someone mentioned earlier, a trans temp gauge or two would answer that question.
OK I'm curious now. What kind of engineer are you ?

rustystud

How about we take the credential comparisons to PM if it must be done.
I wasn't trying to disparage anyone. I'm really curious ! He has valid points just like anyone. I just wanted to know what framework he is coming from. That's what I was trying to find out earlier. Civil engineer, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer. All will be coming from a different point of view according to their perspective.
No one is trying to bash anyone, at least I'm not.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks