• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Autocar pto/dump on Deuce info needed

yorkgulch2

Don't know where to put this, but since the plan is to put the parts on my m35a2. I thought I would try this forum.
I have a chance to buy a 1970??? Autocar 4x4 tractmaster (allwheel drive) with pto, 10 ft dump and plow. Drivers side rear (planetary??) axle shaft is broke. Would like to put the pump, plow and possibly dump on my m35a2 that presently has a pto winch.
The year may not be right as it has a big 6 cyl flathead w/5 speed in it and is running on gas. I have been promised data plate info and pics. This does not appear to be a millitary truck and was previously owned by the county.
The Autocar/White site says they quit making gassers in the early 60's.
QUESTIONS:
1 - Does anyone have info on this vintage Autocar?
2 - Are axles for sale cheap?
3 - It will roll with rear axle out but does not want to move on its own. Is there a way to lock the rear drive shaft so it can drive on front axle only? AWD diff seems to be putting all power to rear driveshaft.
Thanks
Craig

No.2Diesel

Sounds like a pretty rare bird. Autocars are pretty dam cool. I would hesitate to chop it up. It appears that you have all the ingredients for a cool plow truck/dump truck. (except for the broken axle) If its a planetary rear then it would be an AP series off-highway deal. I doubt they would have planetary axles for such a truck.

Having the rear break, it may be easier to get a replacement. Atleast you don't have to worry about getting a new ring & pinion.

Look up the data tag and identify its make and call around for parts.

Here is a pic of 1939 N167 Autocar 4x4:

Attachments

yorkgulch2

The truck I am looking at is much uglier than the one pictured. It is singled out. The reason I thought the rear might be planetary is that the diff is turned sideways similar to a ww2 gmc 2 1/2 ton.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe it's a worm gear drive?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i need some pics of early nom military autocars cabs, say from 30 to 42 or so, thanks