• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Autopsy of Failed Fuel Level Sensor on MEP003A

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel level sensor on my MEP003A genset failed, preventing me from using the auxilliary fuel input from my bulk diesel storage. I previously thought the problem was caused by a failed solenoid valve, but when I troubleshot the system I determined that the fuel level sensor had failed in the open position. The sensor works by having a magnetic float slide up and down a tube that contains a reed switch. The position of the magnetic float opens and closes the reed switch. Upon removing the four small screws, water poured out. The wiring and reed switch terminals were highly corroded. One wire was separated from the reed switch terminal. I sanded the terminal on the reed switch and cut off a section of wire and tried to re-solder. Unfortunately, I could not get the solder to flow on the terminal of the reed switch. I've now given up and am currently looking for a new sensor. I looked at the GEMS website, but the sensor manufacturer doesn't list this particular sensor as a current product.
MFG: GEMS
NSN: 5930-01-062-0690
P/N: LS-29385

Photo of Level sensor prior to dismantle.jpgPhoto of Level sensor dismantled.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm wondering if it was originally silver soldered.

RIrvin

Previously, conductive epoxy (two part) has worked well for me on connections where solder failed. Found it at HAM radio / electronics shop.

Keith_J

I've got some old security system door/window magnetic switches which may work. These are soldered to a printed circuit board, through hole type soldering. So it would be easy to harvest one. Should fit in a first class envelope without additional postage.

Let me know.

Yes, you will have issues soldering the through glass leads as they are typically a special alloy to resist cracking the glass due to thermal stress. And they don't like to be soldered, they are tin plated to facilitate soldering.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I received a quotation from WB Parts in Palm Bay, Florida for a new one at $268.00, which is too steep for me. I've gotten a lot of parts for MVs from WB in the past. They are high, but they often have parts no one else has and they have no minimum quantities. I think DH is right, it appears to have been silver-soldered. I will try that. The reed switch itself is in excellent condition. All I need to do is re-attach the wire to the terminal, and shrink wrap the assembly. It is very interesting how powerful the magnet is. I don't know what material the magnet is made of being so lightweight.

Chainbreaker

Alternatively, you could buy your own micro-torch. They are plentiful on Amazon and are under $50. Then your set to silver solder anything else that comes up in the future. I've got a roll of silver solder that I have had for decades and it does come in very handy now and then.

Munchies

Track down these guys. Their part # below. They have been sole manufacturer since early 2000's
8036-100

THE AIRFLO INSTRUMENT COMPANY, 53 ADDISON RD, GLASTONBURY, CT, 06033-1601 507/10/2007

THE AIRFLO INSTRUMENT COMPANY
(Duns: 001153790)

53 ADDISON RD
GLASTONBURY, CT, 06033-1601
UNITED STATES
Phone:8606339455 Fax:8606335222
WILLIAM LAJEWSKI
AIRFLO@NTPLX.NET
WILLIAM LAJEWSKI
AIRFLO@NTPLX.NET

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just received an e-mail from GEMS informing me that the sensor is still an active part manufactured by them. It isn't on their product list because no one has ever tried to buy any except the Army and Navy. They are now trying to get me a good price on one, knowing that I'm not the government with deep pockets.

rustystud

I just received an e-mail from GEMS informing me that the sensor is still an active part manufactured by them. It isn't on their product list because no one has ever tried to buy any except the Army and Navy. They are now trying to get me a good price on one, knowing that I'm not the government with deep pockets.
Let us all know what they say, since we all might be needing one in the not to distant future.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks