• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aux lighting power source?

jgleasonraptor350

I just bought an offroad light kit and got it all mounted and wired up but I have a question about the power source. Their 100w lights and I don't want to wire them to the fuse block.

That being said, would it be safe to run the power wire off one of the positive battery terminals? I know it's a 24v system, just don't want to fry anything.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
relay_diagram.gif

This is the easiest way to power your lights. There are other ways to wire it, but this uses the least number of wires, relays, cutting into other wires, etc. NOTE that the switch in this configuration will always be hot. This means that even if the truck isn’t running the lights will come on when you throw the switch. If you want the lights to only be able to come on when the truck is running, or when the highbeams are on, or both, you will need a different diagram.

First you need a relay and a fuse. If the lights came with an installation kit you probably already have both.

Put the fuse as close to the battery as possible, such that if the wire broke at any point it could not touch metal and ground the battery. That’s bad- you don’t want that.

Power comes off the battery to the PIN 30 and is standing by. The same power is also standing by at PIN 86.

Wire from PIN 87 to the positive side of the lights as shown.

Run some 14 gauge wire from PIN 85 through the firewall and into the cab.

Install the toggle switch wherever pleases you the most.

Connect the 14 gauge wire you brought through the firewall to one of the pins on the switch (it may be marked + or it may not). Connect another piece of 14 gauge wire from the other pin on the switch (may be marked – or it may not) to one side of the indicator light, then from the light to a good ground.

In this configuration power is standing by at PIN 86 waiting for a ground. When you throw the switch, that power flows through the relay, energizing it, and then flows down the wire and illuminates the light, and then to ground. When the relay energizes thusly, power flows across the contacts from PIN 30 to PIN 87 and then to the lights.