• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

auxiliary fuel tank

jag7720

Did the M1009 or the Civvy Blazer ever come with an auxiliary fuel tank? If so, are they available? Anyone have one they want to get rid of?

Or is there a "factory" spot that one could put an auxiliary tank in?

ida34

There are extremely large fuel tanks but no place to put an auxiliary. I had a 40 gallon tank in an old blazer I had. I think this is the closest you will get unless you make your own. Space for an extra tank is non existent unless you put it in the passenger compartment.

jag7720

Well, I was looking for a second tank that either fit in the left rear over the fender well or under the truck.

I am going to do a wvo conversion and need a second tank.

thanks

AJMBLAZER

Have to be custom made. I've seen one on eBay a week or so ago that had one setup where you describe on the wheel tub.

Not much room under the truck really. The fuel tank already takes up the space behind the rear axle and forward of the rear axle is also pretty busy.

jag7720

Re: RE: auxiliary fuel tank

AJMBLAZER said:
Have to be custom made. I've seen one on eBay a week or so ago that had one setup where you describe on the wheel tub.

Not much room under the truck really. The fuel tank already takes up the space behind the rear axle and forward of the rear axle is also pretty busy.
I saw that one too. That is what I am looking for.

Frybrid.com will make a tank for you if you provide dimensions and money.

I was hoping there was a factory tank I could go with.

Here is my drawing

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: auxiliary fuel tank

What about a large square stainless steel one that fits the entire cargo bed? I bet you could add 40 gallons only loosing about 8-10 inches of space and it would keep the center of gravity down as well.

Angus1

jag7720 said:
Well, I was looking for a second tank that either fit in the left rear over the fender well or under the truck.

I am going to do a wvo conversion and need a second tank.

thanks
Are you gonna buy a kit or fab your own? there is a company called grease car with some really neat kits tank included.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
If you need a small diesel tank then think of using a military 5gallon tank mounted in the stock fuel can mount on the drivers side rear of the truck that is if this is a M1009. Another idea is to get a second tank built to fit there but larger.

jag7720

Angus1 said:
Are you gonna buy a kit or fab your own? there is a company called grease car with some really neat kits tank included.

I'm going to use a kit from frybrid.com. I put one of their kits in an 85 mercedes 300D. Ran it for about a year. I looked at all the kits when I the the MB. Frybrid's kit is by far superior. Their kit has a micro-processor that automates the purge time and theirs is an open-loop system where the others are closed loop and a better "heating system"

I thought about the "flat" tank but I don't want to have it there and put stuff on it... I'd like to have the bed available to throw stuff in and not worry about damaging the tank.

K5NUTT

RE: Re: RE: auxiliary fuel tank

The 40 gallon tank was a factory option on the suburbans...not sure if it will fit without moding the xmember as i have not tried it yet.
The over the rear fender well tanks were made by Hickey Ent. back in the day for the first gen K5's...i have one original hickey tank along
with an aluminum repop somebody made to match it.

DW

K5NUTT

i'll snap a few pics when i get home on casing break...measurements will have to come later...only get to escape the rig for a few hours. Try the brochure page on www.blazerchalet.com should have a scanned Hickey catalog from back in the day...

DW

ida34

ida34 said:
I had a 40 gallon tank in an old blazer I had.
I brought up the stock 40 gallon tank in the first few posts. Mine was on a 75 Blazer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks