• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Auxiliary light opinions/pics

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Auxilliary Light Opinions

Below are pictures of the riggers' lights I'm referring to. They are different from tank headlights which are pictured in post # 39.

Riggers' Lights # 1.jpgRiggers' Lights # 2.jpg

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I did too until I talked to a retired armor guy who gave me a copy of TM 9-2350-242-20 which is the org & maint. manual for the M88 Recovery Vehicle, Full Tracked, Medium. On pages 99 & 180 there are pictures of them and the manual identifies them as Riggers' Lights. He also explained to me that the Armor Headlights are what is shown in post # 39 of this thread.

So now I refer to them as Riggers' Lights and most people don't understand what I'm referring to.

Oh well.....

I'm very glad to know that they get very hot. I was planning on building a cage anyway (just like in the manual), but I will label the top of each cage with a red HOT decal.

Thanks for the warning!

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, Rich if you have them on your vehicle, how do you like them? Are they bright? How is the High / Low Beam function? Do you use them on the highway or only off road? Do you have any electrical issues with them?

Thanks for your time!

MarcusOReallyus

They look just like what we had on the M113A1 APC. I wouldn't call them particularly bright. Certainly not as bright as a decent modern off-road light. But he's right - it does look military. It would fit right in with the CUCV.

The dark lense is for night driving with infrared goggles.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They look just like what we had on the M113A1 APC. I wouldn't call them particularly bright. Certainly not as bright as a decent modern off-road light. But he's right - it does look military. It would fit right in with the CUCV.

The dark lense is for night driving with infrared goggles.

So does that mean they would work for the highway without blinding oncoming traffic?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So does that mean they would work for the highway without blinding oncoming traffic?
Not sure what you mean by 'they' but no, they will NOT work for the highway. The IR lenses will look like they're off, and the whites will get you a ticket. Use your headlights for the highway, on low beam. If you can't see please visit your optometrist, you might be night blind.

See WebMD:

Night blindness (also called nyctalopia) is the inability to see well at night or in poor light. It is not a disease, but rather a symptom of an underlying disorder or problem, especially untreated nearsightedness.
[h=3]What Causes Night Blindness?[/h] Night blindness is due to a disorder of the cells in the retina that are responsible for vision in dim light. It has many causes, including:

• Nearsightedness
  • Glaucoma
  • Glaucoma medications that work by constricting the pupil
  • Cataracts
  • Diabetes
  • Retinitis pigmentosa
  • Vitamin A deficiency
  • Keratoconus

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

Not sure what you mean by 'they' but no, they will NOT work for the highway. The IR lenses will look like they're off, and the whites will get you a ticket. Use your headlights for the highway, on low beam. If you can't see please visit your optometrist, you might be night blind.
whathesaid.gif

I said they are not very bright, compared to modern off-road lights. They are plenty bright, and are a flood pattern. You'll blind oncoming traffic, and very soon find yourself talking to Officer Friendly.

They would work great for work lights, but not for traffic under ANY circumstances.

tim292stro

Some states allow auxiliary lights to be used with high beams, the beam pattern for this is basically a high-wattage bulb with reflector... (think "light shotgun"). With low beams, only a fog light pattern is allowed (sharp horizontal cut-off below other drivers' eyes). Not so amusingly, manufacturers enable these auxiliary beam lights even with low beams, and on cars where the manufacturer correctly locked out the aux beam except with high-beams only, the interweb is rampant with moron trying to disable them "because they look cooler on..."

Many states also have a restriction on how many lights can be uncovered or otherwise they must be interlocked with something to prevent them from being used on-road. Something like a relay wired in with a 4WD/Low-range indicator light that locks out the power for Off-road lights, so that when you select 4WD, or low range they become available (both "modes" not likely to be used on the road).

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 534325

I said they are not very bright, compared to modern off-road lights. They are plenty bright, and are a flood pattern. You'll blind oncoming traffic, and very soon find yourself talking to Officer Friendly.

They would work great for work lights, but not for traffic under ANY circumstances.
Thanks, this is what I wanted to know. The Riggers' Lights have a high and low beam. I don't want to blind anybody so I will only use them off the roadways. Once I get the installation complete I'll post some pictures with the wiring diagram. The mounting brackets are getting fabricated now. I hope to have the installation complete by the spring of 2015 (we'll see if I manage to meet the schedule).

rsh4364

Right now I'm debating on what style of auxiliary light's I should put on my m1009. I don't have a roof rack so Im going to put them on the bumper/brush guard. Wanted to know your guys opinion of what style (square, round, or led bar) look best on these truck? If you have any pictures those would be a great help! Thank you
For headlights go with Hella 003427291,they take HB2,H4 or 9003 bulbs,so lots of choices.Aux. lights I like KC Daylighters.Kinda old school but fairly cheap.Also they take a H3 bulb available in 24v or 12v,50-130w.The backup lights,foglights and offroad lights all take H3 bulbs.

Last edited:

richingalveston

I have the IR lenses in mine, I hope to get some goggles one of these days.
They are just for looks at this time.
With the lenses out, they are a low flood light and a high flood light. would not recommend using as headlights.
I have one side with high beam not working. I need some replacement bulbs.

Texas allows 4 forward facing white headlights. I have two of the POPACOM aircraft landing lights that are not covered and the two stock head lights and one 2ft light bar.
I talked to a local cop and he said my lights are fine uncovered.
And 4 DOT lights are allowed to be used at one time.
If they see me using them on the road, then I will get in trouble because the additional lights are not DOT approved.
Every state is different.

MarcusOReallyus

For headlights go with Hella 003427291,they take HB2,H4 or 9003 bulbs,so lots of choices.Aux. lights I like KC Daylighters.Kinda old school but fairly cheap.Also they take a H3 bulb available in 24v or 12v,50-130w.The backup lights,foglights and offroad lights all take H3 bulbs.

Make sure you do a headlight harness upgrade along with, or better, before you upgrade the bulbs. These old wiring harnesses aren't happy with extra loads.

CUCVLOVER

KIMG0155.jpgKIMG0154.jpg

Up top
2 100 watt 6 inch kc daylighters
2 160 watt 6 inch kc daylighters
2. 100 watt 5 inch Apollos

Brush guard

2 100 watt 4x8 inch eagle ( I don't think they are still being made these are nos)

I've been way out in the back woods in the pitch black and can make it look like the sun came out.

RedBlok

Thanks, this is what I wanted to know. The Riggers' Lights have a high and low beam. I don't want to blind anybody so I will only use them off the roadways. Once I get the installation complete I'll post some pictures with the wiring diagram. The mounting brackets are getting fabricated now. I hope to have the installation complete by the spring of 2015 (we'll see if I manage to meet the schedule).
Did you ever get your Riggers' Lights mounted and wired up? I found this post while searching the forum this evening. I just bought a few sets of these lights and was curious about your wiring diagram and set up. I have an M923a2 I am thinking about putting them on.

Thanks

RedBlok

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the parts are fabricated now, so I just have to find the time to finish them up. It will probably take one weekend which I don't have right now (family commitments and the the summer show schedule). I would like to at least have the lights painted and installed by the 4th of July (not wired). We'll see how it goes; my schedules are always a little ambitious.

I am going to wire them through the main light switch using the service drive power out connector to a splitter that will go to a deuce / 5 ton heater control switch. The switch is waterproof and has a hi output and a low output which I will use for high and low beams.

Hope that helps.