• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Auxillary Lights

rustystud

010.jpg003.jpg007.jpg009.jpg I bought these lights from "gimpyrobb" (Chris) and installed them as back-up lights and auxiliary front lights. I've waited to post these pictures until I bought more lights from Chris. I wanted to make sure I could get more ! These lights are extremely well made and bright ! I'm surprised Chris still has any left to sell, these are a great deal !
For those who are wondering, I converted my turn-signal lights back to the old style which is made out of heavy aluminum not plastic ! My plastic lights kepted breaking on me. So I got feed up replacing them. The rear ones I replaced the lenses with ones from "Dr. Evil Porkchop". They are a solid red and can be seen much better then the plastic ones. I'm still adding more lights and have already wired the truck for them. They will be mounted on the front bumper. I'm working on another project with the front bumper that's why it is off.
Here is gimpyrobb's add. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?127308-Military-flood-lights

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

Nice pictures of a good install. I did the same with set of lights I got from Clinto & Clintogf while they were down in Mt Dora, Florida last month @ that meet. I only did the backup lights in white, but did use two units mounted on the mud flap bar. Where did you pull power from? Thanks for the posting & picts. How about your cab light, how did that work out?

rustystud

001.jpg018.jpgSince I have a soft top I decided to use the cab light as a tool box light. Works great ! As far as pulling power, I installed a relay box with 12 individual circuits that have there own relay. I have run my headlights and auxiliary lights through this unit. The front lights have a switch on the dash to activate. I pulled the power for the switch from the start switch. The power box has a dedicated 2 gauge wire from the batteries to feed it.

FloridaAKM

Well, you will not have a power shortage on the distribution end of things. Very nice work & professional looking @ the same time. It will take a little more time for me to digest what you have there, but I like it!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... These lights are extremely well made and bright ! I'm surprised Chris still has any left to sell, these are a great deal !................
Glad you say this. I bought a bunch from Gimpy last GA-Rally. Then, due to endless export/import issues, it took forever to finally get them (+ all my stuff - 4 FCL !) into this country, not too long ago.
I haven't had the time since, to closer inspect them.

G.

rustystud

Very neat relay box installation you got there. Keep up the good work.
Thanks Hank and FloridaAKM . I got two outdoor enclosures (one small, one large) for dirt cheap. I bought the relay mounts and fuse panels form "Del City electric" . I then soldered all the wires to the connectors (for vibration reasons) and drilled holes into the boxes for the wire clamps. The smaller box has the relay and fuse for the 12 volt alternator system. There is a common ground stud which goes to ground on the truck frame and the other line is the power line from the battery cable at the starter. I had to rearrange things a few times to get everything to fit ! One of the major reasons I did this, is to keep all that power from going through the light switch. The switch just powers the relays. This way my switch should last a long time, I hope !

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 552711View attachment 552715Since I have a soft top I decided to use the cab light as a tool box light. Works great ! As far as pulling power, I installed a relay box with 12 individual circuits that have there own relay. I have run my headlights and auxiliary lights through this unit. The front lights have a switch on the dash to activate. I pulled the power for the switch from the start switch. The power box has a dedicated 2 gauge wire from the batteries to feed it.
Looks good Rusty. Plus you can keep all of the smoke in one place! [thumbzup]

Stealthbird97

Nice work there.
Can't really imagine what you'd be able to run with all those circuits. Nevertheless quite a useful addition.
I assume it's just a matter of running another wire and switch to one of the relays if you wanted to add another accessory.
Where exactly do you get the waterproof covers for the connections?

Last edited:

rustystud

Nice work there.
Can't really imagine what you'd be able to run with all those circuits. Nevertheless quite a useful addition.
I assume it's just a matter of running another wire and switch to one of the relays if you wanted to add another accessory.
Are you talking about the military connectors ? I get mine straight from "Amerline" which makes them for the military (minimum order of a 100 ) or any of the military suppliers sell them. Eriks has a good price on them.

rustystud

Nice work there.
Well there is the headlights, marker lights, back-up lights, turn signals, fuel pumps (going to a two tank system) and assorted other things.

Stealthbird97

Are you talking about the military connectors ? I get mine straight from "Amerline" which makes them for the military (minimum order of a 100 ) or any of the military suppliers sell them. Eriks has a good price on them.
Yeah, that's what I was talking about.

Well there is the headlights, marker lights, back-up lights, turn signals, .
So would you just rewire the existing switches or add news ones?

rustystud

Yeah, that's what I was talking about.

So would you just rewire the existing switches or add news ones?
I'm not sure what your asking, but what I did was disconnect the wires that went to the circuits I wanted to add my relay system too. Then I ran that wire to my relay bank, then new wires out to the individual lights I wanted protected. On some like the headlights I just went from the hi-low beam switch. Much easier to access the wires. I kept all my old switches. By running all the power through the relays I have protected all the light switches from any overload condition.

rustystud

034.jpg033.jpg Here is a couple of updated pictures of what I have done to the front lights. I replaced the original "Loli-Pop" lights with dual sided Turn signal/Marker lights from "Grote". I also added another set of lights from "gimpyrobb" just below the headlights. These are the metal housing ones. Eventually I will have some "Armored" lights on the bumper which will work in conjunction with the headlights since they also have a high and low beam.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I bought a bunch of the "armored" lights a while back. I have trouble keeping water out. Not sure they are worth the price they bring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks