• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Availability of TQG's

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For diesels you also really want them sized properly for the load. It's hammered on here a lot, but an oversized diesel generator will cause you headaches. Even though running at minimal load you'll still be saving fuel compared to gasoline, eventually you have to put a real load on it and burn out all the wetstacking.

*snip*

Just in case it gets missed, my 0.02:
Heat: Wood > other fossil fuels
Cooking and hot water: Wood, Propane > other fossil fuels
Generator: Diesel. (period) Maybe a couple small gasoline ones for portability.

*snip*
I agree with this. Wood heat is a lot easier to renew than other sources, and requires the least amount of consideration for use. Downside is the amount of space your fuel storage takes up, but properly stored firewood will last for a very long time.

Diesel is my favorite duel for all of my equipment, but the past couple decades, ever since the emissions requirements and introduction of ULSD, they just haven't been as good as they used to. It really just depends on your needs/requirements as to whether a diesel generator is the correct solution or not.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll throw into the mix that here in the south east heatpumps are a great choice. I can heat my home for over a day in the dead of winter on battery power. I can recharge the batteries in a few hours of generator run-time. Of if the sun is shining it will charge the batteries most of the way from flat in one day in the winter.

I'll certainly concede that in places where the winters are more harsh with plenty of snow, heatpumps may not be the best choice. Here with the relatively mild winters and very little snow they are viable and can be powered by solar.

In addition my hot water is solar via a evacuated tube thermal collector. That system paid for itself almost immediately!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't even know where to find a solar tube water heater. I am interested in building a battery/solar bank though. Any good sites or books on that?
You will need to check your local codes if you plan to do one, as they seem to constantly change the requirements for installation.

As for actually building one, most of it is going to depend on what it is you are trying to accomplish. There is a variety of different system configurations so it really depends on your end goal and lifestyle.

NATCAD

I'll throw into the mix that here in the south east heatpumps are a great choice. I can heat my home for over a day in the dead of winter on battery power. I can recharge the batteries in a few hours of generator run-time. Of if the sun is shining it will charge the batteries most of the way from flat in one day in the winter.

I'll certainly concede that in places where the winters are more harsh with plenty of snow, heatpumps may not be the best choice. Here with the relatively mild winters and very little snow they are viable and can be powered by solar.

In addition my hot water is solar via a evacuated tube thermal collector. That system paid for itself almost immediately!
I think that even in cold areas the heat pumps may do, and pay for themselves on the shoulder season, Jan,Feb,March they will struggle.

Found this article on solar tube heating in Canada. Quite a bulk tank is required.

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that even in cold areas the heat pumps may do, and pay for themselves on the shoulder season, Jan,Feb,March they will struggle.

Found this article on solar tube heating in Canada. Quite a bulk tank is required.
The technology of heatpumps has advanced and they are viable in places now where in the past they wouldn't work.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heat pumps are great if you spend the extra for the geoexchange type. Underground the temp stays pretty constant, so the heat pump is more efficient.

Most people end up cheaping out and buying heat pumps with heater strips that activate when it's too cold.

Some of those heat strips are 10kw of draw by themselves, and heat pumps can have multiple of them.

I actually don't know of any of my customers with the ground exchange type, and many have relays or other workarounds to disable the heat strips when the gen is on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks