• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Average cost for a CUCV from GL

jimmyjon

Just curious as I see them occasionally on CL for crazy money. Been looking for about a year now and probably have to spend more than I am thinking(~$3k). Maybe we can get a thread going for newbies like me to see just what it takes to get a CUCV going from GL to road ready dollars wise.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without tires plan on spending a minimum of $1000 for basic repairs. Does not include any issues with major components. Been there done that.

Last edited:

Drock

1986-M1028, I'm at $2000.00 for repairs so far (mostly rubber parts) for ah running driving truck without needing tires. Probably about another $1000.00 for interior trim and rubber gaskets, then I can smooth and paint the exterior $$?? This all not including the upgrades I have done, and will be doing (Gear vendors $3666.00- Done), (Banks turbo aprox $2000.00- Next), (Ac kit aprox $1200.00- Last).

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The big glut of CUCVs on GL is over now, most have been auctioned off, but they do still show up. They don't go for $500 for one you can drive home anymore either, because there are few of them coming out now, and more folks bidding on each one.

As mentioned above, if you buy one on the civilian market, likely as not the owner has had to fix some issues, major or minor depending on his luck, but at the very least new tires. He will expect to get a return on some of that.
Expect transmission or driveshaft problems, if the owner hasn't already fixed those. GL loved to pick those CUCV's up with large forklifts, and damaged the trannys and driveshafts on a huge number of them.

The good thing is that there are a lot of them out there. Some folks do think theirs has gold bricks in it, but be patient, and do a lot of looking, you will likely eventually find one in your price range.

Cheers

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$3500-$5000 at auction depending on the type. A lot less for a parts truck

Also you need to edit your profile and change your location. The site rules require at least your state of residence. Detroit is not a state. ;-)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've dabbled in CUCVs for nearly 20 years. Rarely do parts trucks (except blazers), go for under a grand unless axles are missing. I went to an auction at MCLB Albany in probably 1996. They had 2 trucks that had the alternators chopped off and were pretty beat. I had high hopes of getting one for $1200. I quit at $1700 and drove the 600 miles home defeated. With that said, there is still the occasional deal on GSA. My last one didn't have a bed but fired right up with 2 batts and it set me back $954 with no fees.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spend hours/days/weeks reading all of the threads in the CUCV forum. Learn from the mistakes and discoveries of others. Read the TM's (yes, I know they are boring, but they are VERY helpful when you need to repair or replace something). Don't bite off more than you can chew by buying a basket case or rust bucket. If you save another $1000 or $2000, you could buy a truck in really nice shape.

jimmyjon

So when you see a truck on GL and your looking the pics all over and thinking everything looks like its intact if you win it and get it home is it just a case of getting a diesel thats been sitting for a long time running again or is it more often than not there something internal wrong with the engine?
I guess another way to put it are most of these trucks taken out of service for a mechanical reason or just parked for lack of use due to having better equipment?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So when you see a truck on GL and your looking the pics all over and thinking everything looks like its intact if you win it and get it home is it just a case of getting a diesel thats been sitting for a long time running again or is it more often than not there something internal wrong with the engine?
I guess another way to put it are most of these trucks taken out of service for a mechanical reason or just parked for lack of use due to having better equipment?
Its going to be a crapshoot now. Most are out of service already so now they are just purging whats left. In the past if they came out piecmeal, there was probably a problem. When they sell by the dozen, they are just trying to get rid of them. Since so few are coming out, they are again, bringing a premium.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Mine was a solid body with all components and just needed tires battery and starter. 600 purchase and well over 5K in various work
Plan on 5 to 7 K IMHO.

sierrajcharlie

I think it really depends on your location also. Here in NE Iowa I had mine on Craigs, advertised locally and word of mouth. After a month I only had one person call on it. It was a 1009, had some rust on it, had newer tires, been my daily driver, all the improvements recommended here done, had a oil leak, (pan gasket or rear main?). Had someone come look at it and took $2000. It about killed me but I had to move it. The buyer had big plans for it so at least it was going to be used, not torn apart for parts. 2cents

Drift

I just bought one in good shape from an owner for 4k. It's had several mechanical things done to it and runs great. Feel like I did good considering what I've seen out there. Good luck.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
pa state auction

A running, state inspected, original , rust free M1008 with a good dash pad and seat (needed a jump to start) that you could drive home, brought $4100 plus $280 buyers fee before sales tax, registration and notary fees at the Pa. state auction yesterday. Fair price for a running M1008 in our area.

Attachments