• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Average Joe's first Deuce - Mods Thread

AvrgJoe

Oil Analysis results!!

I would suggest that you have an engine oil analysis done for a base line test of the engine's condition, antifreeze,fuel, bearing material in oil. Our Cat dealer has test kits for $15.00 which is a good deal on the info. Mark
Finally got my oil analysis back, shows iron & silicon to be elevated. From my understanding the silicone can be a couple of things, excessive dirt, oil breaking down or silicone sealant used on gaskets? I won't know more a lot about that until I do another oil analysis when I change the oil again. The iron elevation is most likely in dirent relation to the silicone. Exsesive dirt (silicone) causes extra wear on engine parts causing an elevated iron level in the oil. All in all a pretty good report card on the engine condition. This just being a base line test it's hard to really know too much untill more oil analysis are done at each oil change.

Time will tell....

Have any of you guys had oil analysis done and if so, what did you find good / bad? Any thing in particular I should be watching for?

Last edited:

AvrgJoe

I learned this past weekend the hard way that the braking system on the M35A2 trucks are a little lacking. Never really gave much thought to the brakes before, they worked good when I got the truck.... Never thought much about it untill my brake pedal went all the way to the floor Sat. morning when I tried to stop a 13,000 lb truck! Since Sat. I have learned a lot about the brake system.... the pitfalls of a single resivor master cylinder, how expensive DOT 5 Brake fluid is.... and so on. I have 1 maybe 2 wheel cylinders leaking so I ended up being low on fluid. I have bled all 6 corners and ordered 6 new wheel cylinder RB kits for all 6 wheels. Looks like I have more work to do in the near future. I've been thinking about pulling all the wheels to clean and paint them all black? Looks like while I'm doing the brake cylinder rebuilds it will be a perfect time?

All in all, All's well that ends well.... it was a lititle but puckering though when I hit the brakes Sat. morning.

RAYZER

The brake fluid level in the master cylinder must be checked frequently, a remote brake fluid reservoir is a good way to keep track.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always remember that the airpack is the first item on the list when you are bleeding the brake system.

FloridaAKM

Your truck was very well painted tan & you have made it that much nicer with the added stenciling. Keep your mechanical side up as well & you will have a top notch truck that will take you most anywhere you want to go, plus stop for any emergency along the way. I have an '87 that was painted the same way, but nowhere near as nice as it is an Army paint job with the entire bottom painted black. Thanks for posting your pictures & work in progress.

AvrgJoe

Today I finished up media blasting 6,7,8? layers of paint off the steps and Jerry can holder, also media blasted the jerry can tool box (just couldn't do the red) My truck was missing the jerry can all together and I didn't think I really need a real jerry can to ru around town, the tool box seemed to make more sinice.

Attachments

AvrgJoe

100% agree, the mechanics come first! I purposely bought a truck that was pretty mechanically sound to start with. This is why before the astetics I was changing all the fluids, filters and draining old gas along with cleaning the fuel tank and flushing the system with fresh fuel. So far the breaks going out is the worst thing that has happened. I have now installed one of the RCT remote brake fluid resivors. I did figure out that I have a couple of wheel Cylenders leaking... I already have RB kits for all 6.

FloridaAKM

Some clown is going to be PO'ed, when they try & steal your fuel can, only to find that it is a tool & parts carrier. Never saw that before, quite a novel idea...

AvrgJoe

Where did you get the stencels??
I made them myself, I have vinyl wrap that would be normally used to wrap an entire vehicle. I used a vinyl die cutter that would usually be used to cut stickers for windows or such. I cut all the lettering and weeded out the letters themselves in turn making stencils. By doing it this way, when you put the stickers on the truck and paint them you end up with really crisp edges on all of your lettering.

AvrgJoe

I also have recently made magnets for the doors, I made a set of the stars just because I liked them but I also made my company logo and company info magnets. The company magnets are to help with what the truck was intended for in the first place.... to help draw attention to the business. Ironically, the first time I went out in town with the company magnets on the truck someone stole one of my machine gun magnets. lol, I guess I will be making a new set that is one big magnet instead of individual.

Attachments

69M35A2

I also have recently made magnets for the doors, I made a set of the stars just because I liked them but I also made my company logo and company info magnets. The company magnets are to help with what the truck was intended for in the first place.... to help draw attention to the business. Ironically, the first time I went out in town with the company magnets on the truck someone stole one of my machine gun magnets. lol, I guess I will be making a new set that is one big magnet instead of individual.
That is a really sharp looking Deuce man, are you considering running 395's? Also your machine work is amazing, I just got done with a certificate in machining at my local college hopefully one day I can match your skills :).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks