• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

awesome electrical issue!

Dmoser

(not really) lately truck has been having problems starting due to glow plugs not cycling when it gets really hot out. now i have no glow plugs, have to jump the relay to get the truck to start, no WIF light and no exterior lights at all. currently paroosing the tech manuals. dont think that they are related but i will post back when i have an answer.

davidkroberts

well the glow plug issue is easy. Switch to a manual push button system. There are numerous write-ups here of how to do it. When you jump the relay what is the truck doing. Does the key cycle normally. Are you having any issues shifting because it sounds like the switch on top of the steering column under the dash has gotten loose. It has two bolts that hold it tight and if they get loose it will cause it to never engage the switch which lights up some of the dash lights and send the signal to the relay to start the truck.

The exterior lights and maybe the rest of the problems may be a problem in the electrical connections where the wiring harness comes through the firewall and into the fuse panel....maybe

Have you looked at the wiring schematic to see where those circuits or some of them meet?

Last edited:

OL AG '89

In Chicago does it really get THAT hot??? (just kidding)
but seriously, FIND THE PROBLEM before you go butchering the original electrical system. It may be as simple as a sensor, or frayed wire.
Sounds like you need to follow the first rule of MV ownership.
If it's rubber replace it, If it's electrical clean it.....

GOOD LUCK and welcome to the site.

Dmoser

davidkroberts: key cycles normally (and no i was not gonna butcher the electrical system =D) at first i suspected an ambient temp sensor which would send a wrong signal saying it was hot enough to start wothout GPs but now that i have that WIF light issue im not too sure. the truck is gonna be rebuilt once i move and get setteled in a new job but right now i barely have time to sleep =( so jumping the wire isnt such a big deal as long as it starts right now. truk shifts normally so im thinking lights could be something like a blown fuse or a bad wire going to the main switch. maybe this weekend i can dig into it and find the source of the problem.

Dmoser

well i found the exterior light issue, the fuse was completly melted, replaced it and a few others so thats one issue. now i need to fix the glow plugs.