• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axel Offset/Alignment problem..

sponaugle

I recently swapped the stock NDTs for a set of 395s on Super Singles. After the swap I noticed the the front axel set of the tandem set is shifted a bit to one side. It was not really noticeable with the NDTs, but is a bit more obvious with the Goodyears.

I have attached three pictures. One shows the offset from the view of one of the tires (note the offset is not as big as the picture shows due to me not being right on the edge of the tire).

The second and third picture show the under suspension on the drivers side viewed from the front and rear. The front tandem is pushed in a bit on the drivers side, and sticks out a bit on the passenger side when compared to the rear.

I suppose without a real reference, I am not sure which axel set is moved, as I am looking relative to each other.

You can see the leafspring for one axel is to one side, and on the other side for other axel. What provides the centering reference?

Jeff

Attachments

sponaugle

They move........ It freaked me out the first time I saw it too. Don't worry about it.
There is a little side flex between the axles, you will notice it after you make a hard turn.
Thanks Guys! I suppose it makes sense that it could move, but I was surprised by the amount. I had just parked after a sharp turn, which may be why I didn't notice it before.

I am also curious what PSI most people run the Goodyear MVTs 395s at? Mine are at 50psi right now, and it drives fine, but perhaps feels a bit squishy compared to the NDTs.

As always thanks for the great help fellow SSers.

Jeff

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The dog bones have rubber grommets that allow some flex in all directions. It is a good idea to check the condition of them once a year at least, cause it sucks when the rubber lets go. The axles have a habit of walking away when that happens.

sponaugle

I run my XZLs at 30ish psi. They have a similar tread pattern.
Thanks. I did a bit of searching, and found a few other threads about the XMLs.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...-5-xl-vs-395-xml-vs-t831-vs-14-5-1100xls.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/39273-tire-pressure-395s.html

In both of these threads there were people running higher pressures (55-65psi) on the road, and much less off road. I suppose the best option is to try a couple of different settings and see what works best. The tread pattern of the Goodyears does seem similar to the XZLs.

Jeff

deathrowdave

They move about in turns . They will make you have that brown greasey discharge the first time you here it and see the after effects !!! Just normal movement

Barrman

Yep as stated above. If you really want to scare yourself. Pull the bed and drive around looking back at the axles. They move a lot just going straight. Add a little bit of terrain and a few turns and you will want to meet the engineer who designed the set up.

Sevin7

That's a really cool video. I wonder how much more movement and flex there is when these trucks are loaded to capacity. I too have noticed some lateral mis-alignment with my truck. I figured it was normal; it's nice to find out that's the case.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They move about in turns . They will make you have that brown greasey discharge the first time you here it and see the after effects !!! Just normal movement
:ditto:I remember that distinctive sound on our company Deuce way back when. That great popping sound under the bed. Happens usually in a tight turn situation.