• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Boots failing

sassriverrat

Hello All!

Now I was always one to harp on people that are going to play with their truck in water to put the "good" boots on, i.e. no zippers. I know it takes a little longer but replacing is a good excuse to check your bearings and change the grease- and when you get it down it's a 2 hour job if you have a new boot in hand....

However!
I have a right front boot that continues to rip- now it doesn't happen right away like a sharp object or wrong installation- no- a year or so later each time. Anyone have ideas/recommendations?

Thanks!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One would think it is because of the petroleum from grease in the knuckle or gear oil from the axle. Think some of the stuff that comes from China is not what it should be. The easy way to tell if you boots were made in China would be eat a good size piece and if your hungry half hour later it was probably made in China.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The quality of everything in the surplus world has gone to crap. They are trying to remake stuff to fit out demand for it and most of it is junk no warranty. If you aren't offroad at all don't worry about replacing them. If you are find some old NOS ones not just the remakes.

sassriverrat

I've got the ball-style axles I think because I'm not sure I'm familiar with "cross type" but they are a set of universals like a cv-joint.

Yes packing the knuckle with grease- no I don't have a leak axles (already replaced the seals and I'm happy with that job.

soaking belts is a new one...I haven't had squeaky belts on this but they love to squeak on the old v-belts on my old jeep! I usually use a little water or WD40

dmetalmiki

I've got the ball-style axles I think because I'm not sure I'm familiar with "cross type" but they are a set of universals like a cv-joint.

Yes packing the knuckle with grease- no I don't have a leak axles (already replaced the seals and I'm happy with that job.
soaking belts is a new one...I haven't had squeaky belts on this but they love to squeak on the old v-belts on my old jeep! I usually use a little water or WD40
Talcum powder 5tops squeaks and rots nothing.

162tcat

I bet someone on here works for a manufacturing company that works with silicone. It would be nice to have a really thick heavy duty set of boots. Silicone is very durable and should last a long time in this application if it was thick enough and the right formula.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter

By cross I mean sealed u joint like that is in a drive shaft. Timken ball type has open unit and has ball bearings that you can see and needs to be grease.

I bet someone on here works for a manufacturing company that works with silicone. It would be nice to have a really thick heavy duty set of boots. Silicone is very durable and should last a long time in this application if it was thick enough and the right formula.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What would be the trick is if they formed the silicone around some kind of high strength fabric mesh like Kevlar

This would be a heck of an idea! If someone can work silicone or knows how to I am very good with kevlar/carbon fiber/fiberglass

As for driveshafts- I have sealed, not open ball bearings.
Use a 3D printer to make a two piece mold, mix up the silicone with some short chopped nylon fiber, and pour your new high strength boots.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just reading so natural rubber does not do well with petroleum, neoprene does a little better and nitrile is even better.
So to the OP if you have U joint axles don't fill the knuckle with grease leave it clean just put grease into the inside of spindle housing for the spindle / axle bushing. See if you can extend the life of poor rubber boots.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks