• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Boots

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Question

On the axle seal retaining ring, as opposed to knocking it out with a long rod, passed through from the opposite side, would it be permissable to use a slide hammer with a hook attachment? I have a complete Snap-On slide hammer kit and to me, that seems a bit easier (plus, I don't have to come up with a 6'+ long rod to push through).

jasonjc

RE: Question

I tried a cheap slidhammer and it didn't do sh*t the rod worked easyer it was 1/2 EMT I had sitting here. As for the boot yes ted has it all just say you want the boots with out the zippers they have both there stuff is new and USA made. And the price is about the same as the other ads in MVM. As for the ring I guses I will put it back the way it was right or wrong.and I'm going to use rtv on all the joint when it goes back together(right or wrong)

JDToumanian

Okay guys, I was following this thread just fine but now I'm confused. Zipperless boots lost me, I had never heard of that. How do you get them on? I thought the zipper was necessary to get the boot over the end of the axle...

Kenny, you said you needed to "do the whole thing over again"... Why? Just because you want the zipperless boots? Or did you decide to change the inner seals after all?

I have been watching this thread closely because both of my trucks need this done and I want to pick up as much as I can from your collective experiences...

Regards,
Jon

jasonjc

You can slip a zipperless boot on IF you take the axle all the way apart as in pic 150003 or 4 on page one kenny frist post
And as for kenny saying that he has to do it all over I think he is refering to his other truck. Thats the bad part of having more then one if you do some thing to one you will (sooner or later) have to do it to all of them. I'm looking at 5 more of these job coming up aua oh well :)

JDToumanian

Ah, I see now. I thought Kenny meant he was going to tear apart the work he had already done!

Did these trucks come with zipperless boots when new? It would make sense, that the zippered boots would be meant for boot repairs without teardown of the axle...

Are these zipperless boots NOS or new manufacture? Are they made of the same type of rubber as the zippered boots?

Regards,
Jon

houdel

I would suspect the new zippered boots are new manufacture. The two I bought for Saturn, they are a pretty tough neoprene material that does NOT flip inside out so you can install the inner clamp as the TM shows. It is a b*tch to install them as you have to work the inner clamp over the axle housing while fighting with the rest of the boot all the way around.

With all that said, I am satisfied with the zipper boots. You just have to keep TWO things in mind:

1. The clamps MUST be installed at the TOP of the axle housing. otherwise the knuckle will knock the inner clamp (and boot) off the axle housing during steering.
2. Do NOT cut the excess zipper off after you are done. The excess zipper does not contact any moving part, and if you need to redo the inner clamp and have cut off the zipper, the zipper will want to unzip while you are trying to get the inner clamp back in place.

How do I know, repeated refits of the inner clamp with the clamp facing forward as the TM illustrates, thus affording me several opportunities to do the nasty job all over again!

JDToumanian

Thanks Lee, I remember those tips from your thread on this topic a while back. I also remember your frustration at those boots when they kept popping off the axle! I'm glad I won't have to go through that... I'm sure that, like you, I would have followed the TM exactly and had the same trouble.

Regards,
Jon

jasonjc

The zipperless bots are new and seam to be real good I got mine from Ted's trucks along with all the seals they are all new made in USA stuff.

Ronbo

Thanks for the post ! I am sure I will be doing this someday.. PICTURES really help. Now if anyone is in or near TN and does this work on theirs let me know , I'll try and come help ( free labor) just to get the practice.. And no I dont mind getting greasy and dirty!

SteveKuhn

What to do with the uncut zipper?

...do NOT cut off the end of the zipper...
Couldn't find this piece in the other posts with the advice. In attempting to follow this instruction, I'm having trouble figuring out how to leave the long end that isn't cut. Do I fold it up away from the kingpin and reassemble, leave it lay flat and reassemble, [other]? I don't want it to get in the way of anything and I'd rather not tear it all apart again.

Advice appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks