• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle compatibility

pacebm

Quick question for the axle experts:

What is the difference if any in the axles from a 1976 Chevrolet 1 ton SRW and a M1008? I know gearing, locker, etc. but are these 1976 axles of the same design and type?

I am looking to upgrade my M1009 axles and would like to use CUCV axles but I found this '76 still in running condition for a good price.

Westech

CPL
well not 100% the same if you want to get all crazy.. the king pin bushings are made from a different material... HAHA
ok sorry....
But yes bolt in.. I would replace all the seals and king pin bushing so problems can be avoided

ODdave

well not 100% the same if you want to get all crazy.. the king pin bushings are made from a different material... HAHA
ok sorry....
But yes bolt in.. I would replace all the seals and king pin bushing so problems can be avoided
HUH? differnt material?.......explain please.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, there are a few other things. The emergency brake cables are configured differently and the backing plates are different. Also 76 used Spicer hubs or no hubs at all. The differences are little but there. The rear axle has the shock brackets opposite of the Oh-9 and the spring perch width is different on the rear axle. Bolts right into an Oh-8

dstang97

Differences are Spicers ( best in my opinion)
axle shafts are a little different
And the nuts to hold on the hub are different too.

But basically the same.

Mohawk Dave

huh. never see black. guess im to young. any thoughts on wear / death shake?
For the death wobble, run a heavier shock for the steering dampener. This is one of the most overlooked aspects of death wobble. Whatever the stock shock is rated, go up a few notches or more.

Also, toe in on alignment, about 1/4-3/8 inch, yes it will wear the inside of the tires sooner than the outer, but not much, and then rotate of course. Also, toe in makes you track straight. We go 1/2 inch+ on our race trucks, and 1/4-3/8 on out DD jeeps and Ford straight axles. (this is optional, but at least be 1/8 toe in as the forward inertia does pull them apart, and this will compensate for that- a perfectly aligned front end at stand still will not be perfectly alingned when driving.)

Best wishes,

Dave

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick question for the axle experts:

What is the difference if any in the axles from a 1976 Chevrolet 1 ton SRW and a M1008? I know gearing, locker, etc. but are these 1976 axles of the same design and type?

I am looking to upgrade my M1009 axles and would like to use CUCV axles but I found this '76 still in running condition for a good price.
Biggest difference is that there were no square body K30 GM trucks untill 1977 model year. Single or dual wheel. If you found a 1976 with a Dana 60 front, someone other than GM put it there.

pacebm

Thanks for the information 11Echo. I will take a closer look at the the truck. The seller described it as a 1976 1 ton with a 350 and single rear wheel. I have only seen a bad picture and have not inspected the truck yet. He only wants $900 for the entire truck which is what sparked this thread. I will definitely inspect the running gear thoroughly. He says the axles are a dana 60 and 14 bolt but the body is all rusty. Thanks for the heads up. What axle should I be looking for in the front?

Last edited:

ODdave

For the death wobble, run a heavier shock for the steering dampener. This is one of the most overlooked aspects of death wobble. Whatever the stock shock is rated, go up a few notches or more.

Also, toe in on alignment, about 1/4-3/8 inch, yes it will wear the inside of the tires sooner than the outer, but not much, and then rotate of course. Also, toe in makes you track straight. We go 1/2 inch+ on our race trucks, and 1/4-3/8 on out DD jeeps and Ford straight axles. (this is optional, but at least be 1/8 toe in as the forward inertia does pull them apart, and this will compensate for that- a perfectly aligned front end at stand still will not be perfectly alingned when driving.)

Best wishes,

Dave
I know how to cure the shake but i was just curious about the bushings........how are you wearing the inside of the tires with excessive toe in? ( i always align mine with the machine and never had a prob)

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the information 11Echo. I will take a closer look at the the truck. The seller described it as a 1976 1 ton with a 350 and single rear wheel. I have only seen a bad picture and have not inspected the truck yet. He only wants $900 for the entire truck which is what sparked this thread. I will definitely inspect the running gear thoroughly. He says the axles are a dana 60 and 14 bolt but the body is all rusty. Thanks for the heads up. What axle should I be looking for in the front?

The 1976 K20 4x4 pickups were offered only with a 4.10 gearset, more user friendly than 4.56's. The front likely is a Dana 44 if original. If the axles/brake calipers are not all rusted up might be worth offering for them. There were/are a lot of 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburbans running around on those axles. The 1977 K30 and K20 was offered with 4.10 and 4.56 gearsets. I had 4.10 in my 77 K30 and ordered the available at that time 3.73 in my 79 K30.
The 1977-1979 Dana 60 fronts in GM K30 pickups were full time regardless if standard or automatic transmission. They started using Spicer lockout hubs in 1980.

Last edited:

rnd-motorsports

11echo is correct GM used the dana 60 axles in all k30's [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1977-87 K30 1 ton 4wd[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1984-88 CUCV pickups[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1988-91.5 V30 Check the build date of the truck anything build after june or 6/76 will be a 77[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All GM / Chevy versions were passenger side differential, regular rotation (low pinion) gears, disc brakes, 35 spline inners, 30 spline outers, internal style hubs, and kingpin knuckles. if you want to know or answer any questions about a dana 60 here is a great web site! Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive[/FONT]

Last edited: