• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Grease

Olywadan

In the middle of flipping the hubs. Done a lot of searching and following the step by step guides. Pulled the hubs and found this. In the other pictures everyone's axle looks nice and clean with the lube on it.

Just wondering if this is normal and I can put the hubs back on or if I need to do something? ie clean off the gunk, re grease, etc?

Attachments

DieselBob

If it was mine I would thoroughly clean the hubs and bearings and repack. I can't ever say I have seen a grease like that before but I haven't seen it all yet either.2cents

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Military mechanics would often put excessive grease into the hubs ("empty" space between the front and back wheel bearings). The thinking was that if you had to clean and re-pack your bearings in the field, as an emergency measure after prolonged fording or mud-baths, you'd have a ready supply of fresh(-ish) grease at hand.

If you are not at war, this is not necessary; just clean everything up, ensure that the bearings are well greased and you are good. The extra grease does not do much good.

SMOKEWAGON66

Ive seen the hubs covered like that before. Not with whatever grease that is though....I dont think it would hurt anything but better safe then sorry right? lol.

I dig the dirty cobwebs you got there between your shoes. Adds character lol.

Olywadan

Took the hubs off and spiders ran all over the place, scared the crap out of me. Can't imagine the spiders are that prosperous in there.

I was wondering why the excessive amount of grease was in the empty space between the bearings. Makes sense now. Just got back from the store with some grease. Thanks for all the responses.

DieselBob

Took the hubs off and spiders ran all over the place, scared the crap out of me. Can't imagine the spiders are that prosperous in there.
I hadn't driven my pickup in a few weeks and went to drive it and low and behold a spider had managed to get in behind the glass on the pyrometer and build a small web on the gauge face and then went legs up. I guess they will try anywhere :roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks