• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Identification Assistance

Fireheadedone

Hello everyone! I am new to this site, not as a military vehicle owner, but as the owner of Rockwell axles off of a military vehicle. I have been all over the internet trying to find out some information about the axles AND especially the rims, and no one has been able to help me! I heard that y'all are the experts, so here I am. I recently purchased 3 Rockwell axles off Craig's List. I was told by the gentleman that I bought them from that they came off a 1940's-1950's Deuce, but I cannot seem to find a picture or any information about what particular year Deuce they came off of. I was also told that the 6 bolt, 16 stud bead lock rims are rare, so I am trying to find out what they might be worth. Any help you can offer is much appreciated!!
axle1.jpgaxle2.jpgaxle3.jpgaxle4.jpgaxle5.jpgaxle6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

A couple of house keeping items.

We like for the members to post their picture here and not on other photo hosting sites. It keep the threads useful when someone decides to cleanout their photobucket.

Second. Pleas use a meaningful title when posting. It makes searching much easier.

Third. We reserve the word HELP in the titles for real emergencies. Life and death issues, 911 calls. When you are broken down on the side of the road in the muiddle of nowhere and need assistance. Those type items.

Now to your question.

I have no idea but I am sure someone here does. Those do look old and the rims are a form of combat rims.

AMGeneral

Definetly standard M44 series rockwell type axles,although built by Timken.

The wheels are the early combat rims off a M34 deuce,most likely they have 1100X 20 tires on them.

As far as what they are worth,no clue,although they are rare( don't scrap em,somebody will want them).

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The axles and wheels are 1950 vintage.

The rockwell name started around 1953, I think.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found this with a google search.

Maybe Arthur know what they are for.
I need 12 (twelve) run-flat rims

10 stud, 20 inch

Part number CY-ORD 7529001 800-20

Please quote asking price and location by return email M35products@aol.com
Thank you. Arthur P. Bloom

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wheels are the early combat rims off a M34 deuce,most likely they have 1100X 20 tires on them.
Every M34 I have seen didn't have combat rims. I see he's from Oregon, didn't the Canadian deuces have combat rims?

EDIT-The Canadian ones i've found have 10 bolts not 16.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Other posts are correct, the rims are early M34 combat rims. I have 2 on the front of my M275A2. I would love to buy 4 more from you. PM me if you are interested in selling them.

As far as worth, it depends: there is "as is" worth, worth if verified not bent/pitted and no egg shaped lug holes, worth if tires dismounted/disposed, and worth if blasted and painted.

Attachments

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 1954 8022 (M34) manual does say early production trucks had combat wheels. Learn something new every day.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The detroit timken axle company started building the axles for m35 in 1949, made all the tooling and castings and turned it all over to rockwell in early 1954.
I thought I heard of a weakness or inferior design with the early front ends? There was a reason the high HP guys preferred the later ones. Steve any truth to this?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The early ones have a ball and claw and the newer ones have a U joint, in the front axle.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If we are talking about the front axle shafts, yes. The early 4-ball CV-joint shafts were true constant velocity shafts but not as strong as the cross U-joint style.

G.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I heard of a weakness or inferior design with the early front ends? There was a reason the high HP guys preferred the later ones. Steve any truth to this?
Doghead and garhard beat me to it. There were other manufactures of these axles. There was timken, and rockwell, and NEAPCO, and in south Korea ( they made all the axle components but the main housing, they did not have a press big enough to make the housings)

Fireheadedone

Welcome to the site.

A couple of house keeping items.

We like for the members to post their picture here and not on other photo hosting sites. It keep the threads useful when someone decides to cleanout their photobucket.

Second. Pleas use a meaningful title when posting. It makes searching much easier.

Third. We reserve the word HELP in the titles for real emergencies. Life and death issues, 911 calls. When you are broken down on the side of the road in the muiddle of nowhere and need assistance. Those type items.

Now to your question.

I have no idea but I am sure someone here does. Those do look old and the rims are a form of combat rims.

I apologize for my lack of etiquette on this site. I have been on many other forums that are less "formal" than this, so I am sorry for my demeanor.
I was also unaware that other photo hosting sites were unacceptable. Perhaps in my haste I should have read the rules a little closer.
I also apologize for my poor choice of words in both my title and my use of the word "help", will not happen again.

I DO, however, greatly appreciate all the responses to this post thus far. I have been extremely frustrated with other "experts" just telling me that I have standard Rockwell axles, and then telling me nothing about them or the rims as I have asked. These posts have been most helpful in my quest for knowledge, and again, I thank you all.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No need to apologize. Just letting you know that this site is a little different than all the other sites.

Your post was very informative and stirred up ALOT of discussion. We are looking forward to having you around.

My wife is also a Fireheadedone. We need more women in this hobby.

Here is a primer on posting pictures and why we like them here.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?59917-How-to-post-pictures-a-tutorial

The method to add pictures has changed (post #33) but the entire thread helps you understand.

Fireheadedone

Thank you Warthog! You gentlemen have been most informative! I'm glad that I have "stirred" up a lot of discussion because I am so incredibly eager to learn about these axles and rims! A lot of my friends are wondering why I am so interested in knowing the history of them. They ask, "Why don't you just worry about putting them under your rig, and not worry about where they came from?" My response is because it is MY rig, and I want to know everything about it, so when someone asks me I can say I built this with ____.

I was doing some research on the M34 last night based on the responses I received here. It does look as if some models were outfitted with the combat rims that I have, and some were not. I am happy to know that at least the era that I was told they came off of seems to be correct.

Earlier I had asked what they might be worth, in reference to the rims mainly. I understand that for someone restoring one of these beautiful beasts, they may be invaluable. I also realize that, for some, they may hold sentimental value. I suppose that not everyone will agree with my application for them, but I would like to know what they would sell for in case I am not able to use them. I would like them to go to someone who understands their rarity.

Thank you all so much. :D