• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Identification Assistance

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Other posts are correct, the rims are early M34 combat rims. I have 2 on the front of my M275A2. I would love to buy 4 more from you. PM me if you are interested in selling them.

As far as worth, it depends: there is "as is" worth, worth if verified not bent/pitted and no egg shaped lug holes, worth if tires dismounted/disposed, and worth if blasted and painted.
It's like NDT said above, you really don't know the worth/condition till they are broke down. The last picture it looks like 4 studs are broke and more may break just getting them apart. Depending on how long the tires have been mounted and how much rust is formed between the two halves it can be an all day job to get them apart. I did 2 last fall and it was all day, we ended up blowing them apart in a tire cage and sill had to use hammer, chisel and sawsall to get the tires free from the rims.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Earlier I had asked what they might be worth, in reference to the rims mainly. I understand that for someone restoring one of these beautiful beasts, they may be invaluable. I also realize that, for some, they may hold sentimental value. I suppose that not everyone will agree with my application for them, but I would like to know what they would sell for in case I am not able to use them. I would like them to go to someone who understands their rarity.
I would guess that if you took them apart and blasted/primed them you would have some pretty valuable rims. I don't know 2-300 each, maybe more to the right buyer.

Jeepsinker

Oh no I couldn't do that. NDT had first dibs on them and he probably has better means of getting them. Besides, you have what he needs to complete his set, I don't have any and would be missing two. Appreciate it, but let NDT have first pick please.

Fireheadedone

Oh no I couldn't do that. NDT had first dibs on them and he probably has better means of getting them. Besides, you have what he needs to complete his set, I don't have any and would be missing two. Appreciate it, but let NDT have first pick please.
Ah, you're right! I'm sorry, I totally forgot that NDT mentioned earlier that he was interested. Of course I will give him first dibs... my bad. And I appreciate you reminding me!

Fireheadedone

Well, just wanted to return to this topic to let y'all know what we've found out. We started tearing down the axles to restore them. The combat rims, although dirty and paint chipping, are in dang good shape! No major damage or rust. The axle had a repezza (SP?) joint on one side, and it looks like someone might have blown up the ball and claw that was in there, and then replaced it with the repezza. The other side still had the ball and claw, and was in great condition! Found no water or rust inside the brake drums, knuckles, or axle housings.

I am still looking at the possibility of using the rims for my project, but if for some reason I cant, NDT gets first dibs on the sale.

Thank you all!

Fireheadedone

Well, after all this time, it looks as if I will be selling the combat rims anyway. I've chosen to go another direction with my project, and I would love to see these awesome RARE wheels rehomed to someone who knows how amazing they are!

I greatly appreciate all of your responses and help on this site! Truly awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks