• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Identification?

Gypsyman

Ran across an axle while I was picking up some more tires. I found a P/N stamped in it but I can't seem to get anywhere with the number. The P/N is 8723953 which shows as NSN 2530-00-323-8538. Dual wheel cylinders per side, 6 lug, 20" lock ring wheels, and 3 screw bearing covers has me leaning towards an M105A2 axle. That's all I've got to go on right now.

IMG_7518.JPG IMG_7520.JPG IMG_7521.JPG IMG_7522.JPG

Gypsyman

I spent the weekend poking at this as I had time. Even though the axle part number is listed as 3/4 ton (all I can find on it) I can't find a single application of 6 lug 20" wheels on a 3/4 ton trailer. This one has me stumped.

I think that it could work to narrow for my dual tired M105 project but I don't want to risk the spindles being too weak. Spring perches show as being 40" center to center which I think is the same as an M105A2. Still trying to verify this as my trailer isn't here at the shop.

Gypsyman

Update. I looked at the M105 parts book again. The SA20160 part number is what's shown for the Useable on Code for the M105A2. So, the axle I have pictured in post #1 is in fact an M105 axle. I have no idea why it is listed as 3/4 ton on multiple sites. Very odd...

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
remember the govt under rates and over build on specs is a wild guess on my part.

The other part of the puzzle is in the 60's were single wheel cyls. THey were not dual cyls per side till the A2c if I recall correctly in the late 70-80's?

That whole family in the 60's could be m103 gen set and m107 water buffalos also as i think they shared running gear.

Gypsyman

Below is a picture of my '67 M105A2. You can see the brake line running to the second wheel cylinder at the bottom of the backing plate. I was under the impression that all A2 models had dual wheel cylinders. I could be completely wrong and I don't have access to my notes right now.

I wish that I had taken more pictures before I loaned the trailer out. The friend I loaned it to has had it longer than I have. LOL! Hope to have it back here at the shop shortly to start the rebuild and modifications.

1967 M105A2 (9).JPG

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are right on the A2 having 2 cyls, I just could not recall the date they made the change and thought it was later.

I have a m107 Buffalo with no tags and one cyl. Makes me thing it is older than I thought..

Guyfang

Staff member
SA20160 77237

DANA OFF HIGHWAY PRODUCTS, LLC
SA20160 12603

CLARK EQUIPMENT CO

Lets also keep in mind, the NSN 2530-00-323-8538 was issued in 1963. This was during a time when the military did not necessarily always order/receive standardized parts. Both of the above companies SUPPLIED the axle to the military. Who actually made it? If it were two different companies, as long as the parts were interchangeable, that was all the military cared about. I noticed this in generators. In AIT, back in 1973, we learned as a rule of thumb, HP, divided by 2 is KW. 20 horse engine = 10 KW gen set. All well and good, until you looked close. All engines were underrated. Classic case, the D424 turbine engine. I forget the HP. But the company rep told me that had the army wanted a 200, 300, 400 KW gen set, they would have got the same D424 engine. It fit. It worked, (sorta) and it was on hand.

Gypsyman

I ran out and hauled the axle home for my dual wheel M105 project. Rolls smoothly and the property owner let me have it for free just to get it out of there. While I was there I noticed a corporate 14 bolt with 8 lug to 10 lug adapter, Deuce wheels, and brand new Titan T-Hawk 9.00-20's on it. Struck a deal on the tires for next to nothing as long as I hauled axle and all off. I had just finished loading everything and the property owner rolls out two more brand new T-Hawks on 10 hole wheels. Same story. If you want the tires you have to take the wheels. So, I loaded those up too. =)

I have no idea what the plan was for the adapted axle and we couldn't find the other two wheel adapters but if I can find a buyer for the 14 bolt and adapters I'll actually come out money ahead for once.

All in all a pretty productive parts run.

Free M105A2 Axle (5).JPG IMG_7557.JPG IMG_7555.JPG IMG_7556.JPG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I ran out and hauled the axle home for my dual wheel M105 project. Rolls free and the property owner let me have it for free just to get it out of there. While I was there I noticed a corporate 14 bolt with 8 lug to 10 lug adapter, Deuce wheels, and brand new Titan T-Hawk 9.00-20's on it. Struck a deal on the tires for next to nothing as long as I hauled axle and all off. I had just finished loading everything and the property owner rolls out two more brand new T-Hawks on 10 hole wheels. Same story. If you want the tires you have to take the wheels. So, I loaded those up too. =)

I have no idea what the plan was for the adapted axle and we couldn't find the other two wheel adapters but if I can find a buyer for the 14 bolt and adapters I'll actually come out money ahead for once.

All in all a pretty productive parts run.

View attachment 872944 View attachment 872947 View attachment 872945 View attachment 872946
Dang Right!!

Heck of a deal... I think that is why we have to have trucks. So we can haul away stuff that somebody had that we might need.

Guyfang

Staff member
I may have to hate you Gypsyman. I look at the pictures, and see this work shop half the size of Texas, and my "shop" is a tiny garage, that would have been a tight fit for a 1963 VW bug. I may jump from the bridge with rocks in my pocket.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Rob a bank!
If you do, use a dog with saddlebags.
Just saw a video of it being done...

Used to be Don't Believe Anything You Hear - and Only Half of What You See. Now days with everybody being able to publish something on the Web, that saying is don't believe it unless YOU SAW IT HAPPEN in PERSON

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks