• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle noise? video

volver

I have been trying to hunt down and fix an irritating whining noise. Found many treads on this. None have fixed the problem.

The truck makes a whining grinding noise at 40mph or greater. First I thought it was the output shaft of the transmission. So I put all new ball bearings in the trans and replaced a wallowed out pilot bearing.

Next I rebuilt the transfer case after measuring the end play on the counter shaft and output shaft to be .018in and .010in respectively. All new bearings seals and gaskets. Set the end play to .002in then removed a .003in shim to give it a light preload.

So I have moved on to the axles. No work has been done yet.

I stumbled across this video. (1:40 noise starts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YydRamFW29o

This the same whine I am hearing. Louder at higher speed. Silent when coasting, noisy then accelerating, under load, or when decelerating. Spikes in noise when bumps are hit.

Does any one know what is causing this noise?

Last edited:

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ring gear noise. the coast/pull gives it away. Pull the intermediate shaft and see if the noise goes away, that will help tell which diff. Bear in mind that you have two ring and pinions in each diff. the speed of the noise sounds like the primary gear set.

Last edited:

DieselBob

Pretty much nature of the beast. When I was a mechanic at a construction company all the Mack dumps had the top loader double reduction third members like the deuce and always had that whine at road speed while the trucks like the GMC's and Pete's with the single ratio hypoid third members didn't. I think most of the noise is from the helical gears they have. Now grinding sounds aren't normal. Have you drained the differentials to see if there is evidence of metal other than the normal wear residue.

volver

I printed the differential carrier section of tm 9-2320-361-34 and 34p. It tells you how to set up the ring and pinion. The gear mesh might be set up wrong in one or more of my axles. I will pull all three and set them up correctly.

What is the best way to lift the carrier group out of the axle while it is still in the truck? People say they are 200 pounds.

welldigger

My truck whines at 40 and above. No grinding though. Pulling the third member is quite a task. The only good way to do it is to pull the entire axle from under the truck. Then use an engine lift or forklift to pull the third member from the axle. I'd say it easily weighs 200+ pounds.

I think a lot of the noise is the tandems ever so slightly fighting each other. I have rode in 2 bobbers and they don't seem to whine nearly as bad.

Last edited:

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine does it with the rear inter-axle drive shaft removed, and has been getting louder over the past few hundred miles (mostly pavement miles).

It's loudest at light loading, 50 mph.

Eliteweapons

Keep in mind that if the axle shafts are still installed the gear is still moving and could still whine. You could also try adding some Lucas oil stabilizer to see if that helps.

DavidWymore

Rockwell 2.5 Training aid 001_edit.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the Rockwell bull gears are helical (straight, but angled teeth - noisy by nature). Most modern single reduction axles are hypoid (curved teeth-silent by nature). You can see both types in this cutaway. Primary reduction up top is hypoid and seconday, the big gear, is helical.

There might be a heavy, Extreme Pressure, noise damping oil out there that might help...rustystud probably has some thoughts/input.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with you 100%; the only reason I'm looking into rebuilding my diff is due to the rapid increase in volume I've experienced recently.

rustystud

View attachment 708034

If I'm not mistaken, the Rockwell bull gears are helical (straight, but angled teeth - noisy by nature). Most modern single reduction axles are hypoid (curved teeth-silent by nature). You can see both types in this cutaway. Primary reduction up top is hypoid and seconday, the big gear, is helical.

There might be a heavy, Extreme Pressure, noise damping oil out there that might help...rustystud probably has some thoughts/input.
I've had luck reducing noise using a good quality 90W-140 gear oil, but your right David. Those gears by their very nature make a lot of noise. Now if you think these Rockwells make noise, you should check out the double reduction two speed units ! There basically the Rockwell on steroids ! Instead of just one set of bull and drive gears you have two ! I used to rebuild a lot of them in the day.

DavidWymore

I agree with you 100%; the only reason I'm looking into rebuilding my diff is due to the rapid increase in volume I've experienced recently.

If it's getting louder, I bet you're right and may have an issue. I have some spare axles and probably access to more down here south of you if you come up needing parts.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Noise???? That is the truck making music. Between that and the turbocharger screaming, a symphony.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rusty Stud, now for discussion about how much 'fun' it is getting the double reduction units out of and back into a housing----! About as much fun as pulling out a front loader power divider/gear set in a tandem. We did not really have good way to get a hold of it so you do not feel it may roll and bite you bad. In the shop I worked in we only had a floor jack with a piece of channel iron bolted on it to put under them. Nuts!!!! Lucky I still have all of my digits and larger parts. One finger that got crushed does not point quite due North now.

dmetalmiki

Well if it t'was I. I would give those axles a good shot of Molyslip. My 5 ton was worse than that. Purchased another duff transfer box and new parts to rebuild a swap. After the treatment. Nothing required. Now it's all good. And, I would do the treatment on yours just as soon as!.
Actually all the older British army lorries had 'that' whining characteristic noise, But MUCH louder! (on the Bedford QLs and the like.)
Much Research was carried out at the time, to 'evaluate' the noise. It's cause (the whining) And a manufacturing solution.

Last edited:

rustystud

Rusty Stud, now for discussion about how much 'fun' it is getting the double reduction units out of and back into a housing----! About as much fun as pulling out a front loader power divider/gear set in a tandem. We did not really have good way to get a hold of it so you do not feel it may roll and bite you bad. In the shop I worked in we only had a floor jack with a piece of channel iron bolted on it to put under them. Nuts!!!! Lucky I still have all of my digits and larger parts. One finger that got crushed does not point quite due North now.
I used to use a 20ton floor jack and a piece of wood. Get the pumpkin to set just right on the jack. Roll the jack into place, and using your feet push the unit into the housing. Easy ! If you believe it was easy I have a bridge I want to sell.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks