• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

axle question

closedknuckle

Hi,
I have a 1977 m880 series truck. I believe an m882 communications truck, antenna brackets on side of box and huge bracket for the extra generator, and huge extra battery mount. This thing went threw more snow the other day than anything I have seen, did the m880's come with front and rear lockers, like i belive was an option on the civilian w200's?
Thanks,
John

closedknuckle

Bob, what do you mean by open, and, why is it that it just crawls thru the deep snow without spinning? I also have an 886, and see you have one for sale? Always looking for another.........
Thanks,
john

kurtkds

Both axles have an "open" differential. No mechanical device in the differential to transmit power to the wheel with the most traction. If you have a posi or locker in the front axle you'd notice at the least "torque steer" when in 4 wheel drive in the front axle. worst case would be that the truck would go wherever it wanted to and would be near impossible to turn on pavement.

I don't think the military would give an 18 yr old a fully locked truck, they'd probably kill them selves in it.:oops:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
................... This thing went threw more snow the other day than anything I have seen.....................
The trick is: more or less balanced load between front and rear axle and true full-time-4WD, via a third diff. in the TC, normally open but also manually lockable.
Traction is excellent, not only on snow.

G.

closedknuckle

It is nearly impossible to turn on pavement, but, I generally do not drive on clear pavement with the diff in the t case locke dout because we all know what that will do. I have and have had other mlitary dodges and they were good, but when in deep snow you could feel each axle swap from one side to the other, (limited slip?). this doesn't appear to do that?
Thanks for all replies,
John

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is possible that someone put a posi in it after the gov't was done with it.

but they were all stock with open differentials

here is my M880 in the mud with humvee tires on it.

not enough horsepower to get them spinning so it just goes and goes and goes.....

Attachments