• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle (s) rebuild thread, gears and lockers

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can buy alot of 8x8 or 6x6 timber for stacking /cribbing and be much safer if stacked correctly than any steel on steel with the truck running/vibrating ! I double everything now if im under it ! I got a second chance you might not !

ramdough

You can buy alot of 8x8 or 6x6 timber for stacking /cribbing and be much safer if stacked correctly than any steel on steel with the truck running/vibrating ! I double everything now if im under it ! I got a second chance you might not !
Probably will just cage the wheels, jack up one tire, and rotate them one at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

You should NEVER be working on asphalt on a truck this size unless it's an emergency situation. And yes a spreader plate is required in that case.
huh??? confused.... what is wrong with asphalt?

Yes on the jackstands not on asphalt; unless you have a wider base to sit below the stand to prevent sink. I had friend weld used brake disk rotors to bottom of my stands cause I usually am in dirt..... asphalt would be heaven for me

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 914221View attachment 914222
View attachment 914222View attachment 914224View attachment 914223

and then I found this……

View attachment 914225

it looks like my oil leak was not a seal, but my vent hose maybe? Maybe both? Either way, driver side is stopped until Monday so I can get a hose made.

that hub had noticeably less oil than the other.
I swapped my vent and supply CTIS stuff for polyurethane tube and push connect fittings. Much easier to replace if issues arise in the future. Note that the adapters on the frame bulkhead seem to have some kind of thread lock on them so kind of a pain.

ramdough

Well, I am tired, but I got one hub on and it was reshimmed.

need to clean a few faces in the other side and the hub covers. Hope to have the front buttoned up tomorrow. Then starting in the rear two hot ones.
IMG_8253.jpeg

will hopefully get the new hose in Monday and u joint as well.

ramdough

Ok, back at it. I have the drive shaft from the transfer case to the intermediate axle removed. I wanted to put the axle shafts in temporarily, I got the rear ones in and one of the intermediate ones in. Tires are on the ground.

In the final shaft, I thought I would just move the pinion to get the last one in. Did not work. I am assuming I am fighting the locker.

But, why did this work in the rear axle but not the intermediate?

ramdough

Thought about it more…. I think the locker must be the issue. Or my power divider is locked up with no air pressure. The second option I do not think is likely since if water got into my power divider through the plastic cap covering the air inlet, the system would have been “frozen” in the open diff power divider condition.

That leads me to think that the locker is stopping me.

So why did it work in the rear most axle?

My only explanation is I barely did not clear a spline and bumping it made it line up or I accidentally installed the locker in the front axle. My front differential was clearly labeled by the person that I got the chunks from with the lockers in them, so for me to have put the locker in the front, the seller would have had to mislabel the front chunk.

I plan to lift the tire to finish the install of the axle shaft. Once up, I will try to spin the tire to see how the locker should feel. Put jack stands under it on both sides to test that the power divider is not locked. Set that axle down. Go to the rear axle and lift one tire to see if it behaves like the intermediate. Finish assembling the front. A test to see how that diff behaves.

Unless someone smarter than me can tell me how a Detroit should feel?…..

ramdough

Man I am tired. Open diff should spin the opposite tire the opposite direction. I will test the front once both hubs are on.

ramdough

Man I am tired. Open diff should spin the opposite tire the opposite direction. I will test the front once both hubs are on.

Ok, front hubs are on. I did confirm that rotating the front right wheel forward rotates the left wheel backwards so open diff is where it should be.

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure the detailed function of the power divider, I can tell you that I can lift just one intermediate or rear tire and with brake off they will free spin (and spin the driveshaft). I don't have lockers though

ramdough

Went to re-shim one of my hot hubs and found out it was missing the thrust bearing race that goes against the hub cap.

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to re-shim one of my hot hubs and found out it was missing the thrust bearing race that goes against the hub cap.

Haha, damn, well that could do it! Any damage to the hub surface? It's not smooth and hardened like the thrust race.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks