• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

axle seal question

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a question, I have not changed any seals in the M35's ( but I have built a lot of automatic transmissions) anyway I have seen videos and heard people say - That sometimes when they tighten the nut on the shaft the tang breaks off on the seal. So ( dumb question time) , wouldn't it help - or is it possible to take the old seal with the broken tang cut the rubber off of it - once the new seal is in then place the old seal against it with some grease b/t them and tighten everything down that way ? Maybe this way the pressure is on the old seal and allow it to spin or slip -taking the pressure off the good seal?? Just a thought Thanks

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea I’ve heard of people doing that so it shouldn’t be a problem. When I had went through the axles on mine I replaced all six with the aftermarket ones but like @ldmack3 said I put some Lucas red and tacky in between the seal and the locking nut to let it slip easier and check for burrs for it to snag on while tightening and remove if needed. The multiple times I had been in there since I’ve never broke one yet. There will always be the one time it does but so far so good. I did make sure to use a reliable torque wrench to torque to specs so you don’t go over.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks